• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New Guy from Brandon,Man.

I think I signed up a while ago my name is Bob but I have been negligent. Please forgive me.

I have an Atlas lathe ( roller brg. head stock ) and a three foot mill/lathe that I bolted up from a kit made by two friends in Edmonton.

I am glad to become active in this group and learn. I am also getting a nephew into amateur machining. One thing I need to know, is there a good source of HSSS stock anywhere in Wpg. for us shade tree machining types or is it all online?
Blue lathe.jpg

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from SK. There was a very good supplier in Wpg. but i think they shut down. Was called Luke's Machine, they had a store in Saskatoon that i visited a lot. So not much help,

Art M

If your looking for HSS tooling there are a couple places in the peg. Eagle machine tool is one I’ve used. Wesmac I used years ago haven’t tried lately. I’ll think of a couple more.
Material like 4140 or specialty Nu-West metal will cut you 2 inches if that’s all you need or 20 ft.
In Brandon Morning Star metal is reasonable and always likes cash for cut offs.
Art

If your looking for HSS tooling there are a couple places in the peg. Eagle machine tool is one I’ve used. Wesmac I used years ago haven’t tried lately. I’ll think of a couple more.
Material like 4140 or specialty Nu-West metal will cut you 2 inches if that’s all you need or 20 ft.
Art
Thanks on the tips Art. Yes I have been dealing with Dave at Morningstara a long time. Good local shop.
Welcome from SK. There was a very good supplier in Wpg. but i think they shut down. Was called Luke's Machine, they had a store in Saskatoon that i visited a lot. So not much help,
Thanks, yes Luke machinery was a good place for tooling and such and I bought reasonable quality milling vise for not too much mony. Too bad they are gone. Bob

Art

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Welcome from Winnipeg!

Like you @Manitoba Man I’ve been learning where to buy materials in Winnipeg.

I’ve been purchasing hot rolled steel and tubing from:
http://www.rnrsteel.ca/Products/products.html
But have yet to do a proper price comparison with other sources. They cut about 20-40 lbs of metal coupons for me so I could practise welding (don’t recall the price per pound I paid). I appreciated that.