New grinding discs

Tom Fitzpatrick

Has anyone out there used the new Combi Click grinding disc system? Jason at Fireball Tool highlighted it on his latest You Tube posting this morning - it's pretty slick. Wondering if those out there whom have used it know of a supplier in Calgary. If there's interest I'm also wondering about a group purchase (maybe there's a discount possibility). Check out the video.

justin1

Super User
As a welder who uses grinder more then he likes to admit, I don't see a point in it your stuck with buying PFERD discs which are good quality but expensive without the fancy system.

Your better off long term with multiple grinders (I own 6 lol) and for polishing and hand rail stuff want hand held belt sander
51WbCuo77VL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

It's a neat idea but for hobby seems over kill and for shop environment probly cost to much in long term then just buying and setting up grinder work station for each task.

Also I watched the promo video on it were guy polished the 90° I recommend not grinding handrail like him lol. If you want it to look seamless lay grinder on the flat and remove weld. Don't use the tip you end up with a wavey finish which isn't good for polished product lol

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I agree with @justin1, multiple grinders is more versatile, and the norm

i always keep 3 in my truck, 2 6" and a 4.5 with a sanding disc

once you learn that you dont normally need a grinder wrench to take a disc off, its not a big deal to swap with the old fashioned nut system

Ironman

Ultra Member
I am using a new grinding disk. It is called AVOS Type 29 from Norton. It cuts steel like it was a tomato.
Avos means Allows View Of Surface

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Jason at Fireball Tool highlighted it on his latest You Tube posting this morning
His self interest here shouldn't be ignored. No doubt it is a great item for professional use, and can earn its cost in certain production situations.

@Ironman points out one alternative Another is the Freud Diablo DCC045040N01F 4-1/2" x 40 Grit Corner-Edge Flap Disc is far cheaper and fine if you don 't mind a radius. You can use a standard sanding disk/rubber backer to do exactly wheat Jason does, at 1/10th the cost.

He is offering a very nice piece of kit. At a high cost. There are other ways to do similar things.

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I am using a new grinding disk. It is called AVOS Type 29 from Norton. It cuts steel like it was a tomato.
Avos means Allows View Of Surface

Oh boy that's a scary looking disc, those cutouts are just itching to catch a corner

I have found the 3m "silver" grinding discs to be quite good, sharp, frangible, and not overly expensive, the 3m "silver" zip cuts are fantastic as well, but a little pricey