• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

New forum category idea - project plans?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I was thinking we could have a new forum category to post plans for useful projects. Kind of a simple thingiverse.com if you are familiar with that. The idea is the category could host the files - pictures, instructions, sketches, technical drawings, 3d models - to make something useful that other people could also benefit from. For example I am trying to design a vise plate for the Kurt DX6 sized vise or clone . I have two of these vises (what's plural of vise? vises? vises' vise'? ) now and a couple hold down plates for them could be handy. Lots of people own that vise so the drawing for this could be something I could share on the forum. We could keep it really simple and upload a technical drawing and a picture and that's it. Or if people were keen they could do an instructables style how-to on the entire item. Member choice I think. Members who build the item could also post their results, pictures, derived plans & modifications. It would be neat to have a library of project plans.

So is this a good idea? Hit like?
Would you upload a useful project? Hit the like LOVE IT the one with the heart eyes .

What might this thread be called? Project Plans?

Does anybody have a ready to go project to kick off the new category?

Some project ideas maybe: Mill stops, machinist jack, vise speed handle, carbide insert chamfer tool .. what else?

Any comments?

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I was thinking home grown but why not links to other places? Sure sounds good. It would fit in this area if the destination site has the drawings or designs you would need to execute the project yourself.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
For starters perhaps a link to a free 'yet simple to use' drawing program. Believe the list would make good use of something like that.

Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hmm Bill I think free or simple is easy but both? Anybody? ClarisCAD anybody remember that?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Love the idea of a plans section.

Re free cad. I’m trying to wrap my head around FreeCAD. Which is definitely not easy. Yet. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Power Point is about my speed but it's not free. nanoCad is free but not what I would call simple.

Bradells

(BRad)
I'm hopeless at CAD packages, but... I've been told that sketchup is easy to use...

There is a free version of sketch up... Sketchup Make 2018 (or 2017... can’t remember at the moment)

I found it hard to use initially, coming from an AutoCAD and NURBS background, but once you figure out the method, it gets a lot easier and quicker!

(Draw a profile and ‘push/pull’ it into 3d space... push/pull other faces to further create)

2d traditional drawings can be done, but they are trickier than one would think, as each connecting line creates a new pivot point... tricky in many instances to change some details.

Brad

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
FrEE cAd?? WhY wOulD they GivE you cAd foR Free?:p generally cad is expensive but you probably need it. (Sorry keyboard messed up)

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I think the sub category is a great idea, John. I've seen this implemented on other forums. Posted 2 examples but there are similar themes on many other forums.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/project-plans-drawings.161/
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?board=4.0
https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/forums/plans.12/

There is no right or wrong and this is a great first start to discuss what people would like it to be (or not to be). Here are some of my random thoughts.

- the focus should be PLANS ie. with some reasonable expectation that someone could build from those files, or make a decent start towards completion. So if you fabricated a part but it never turned into even a back of napkin sketch (no plans), best to post that in one of the other build or work-in-progress categories. But if a drawing eventually developed this category would be a great repository.

- I think links to other websites is perfectly fine. In fact, that can really help to keep our site lean & organized. I've seen this scenario just as example. Someone posts 'looking for machinist jack plans' & magically 20 website links are provided from members personal saves or whatever & the files themselves are hosted & maintained elsewhere. This can also help give some overview, maybe features you like.

- Drawings (and I use this word loosely) seems to be the most controversial thing. Hobbyists have very diverse backgrounds & budgets & resources. Personally, I have found PDF format to be a good starting point or compromise. Why? Because the objective is to provide someone a document with minimal fuss or specialized knowledge to make it a paper shop drawing. So ideally just download, print & you are on your way. Even if you use older/simpler software that doesn't export as PDF directly, there are usually free print utilities where you select PDF just like you would select your physical printer & get the desired end result. Alternatively if you have hand drawn paper sketches complete with coffee ring stain & no interest in software, that paper can be scanned as PDF. If not on your personal device then at Staples or whatever. As long as its legible, its better than nothing & no software is required. There are members who can help with this stuff.

- Files is something a bit different & its important to make the distinction to ^above^. This would represent output from software that is needed for another purpose. So for example a 2D file like .dxf that can be issued to a laser, water jet or cnc router cutting service. They don't really care about dimensions like the PDF, they need the scaled outlines. Or the file can be ingested into different CAD software. This is simplifying things a bit but generally true. Then there is 3D files. Yet more formats but one would use this to do a 3D print, 3D cnc machining etc.

- we need to be reasonably cognizant of distribution/rights. If you post your design on this forum, don't be surprised if it pops up elsewhere. Its the connected world we live in. At best it might be a link back to the originating website but I've also seen blatant plagiarism. If you post or redirect to someone else's work, at least look for obvious copyright to ensure you are not getting anyone in hot water.

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
FrEE cAd?? WhY wOulD they GivE you cAd foR Free?:p generally cad is expensive but you probably need it. (Sorry keyboard messed up)

Obviously the key reason behind a free CAD version or any other program is to entice the user into buying their more professional one. Go to any car lot, talk to the cute sales person (your choice), then take out a vehicle for test drive. Now ask yourself why should any sales lot do that free of charge! Bottom line one can continue to use my limited drafting skills learned in shop class back in the early 50's.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I think the sub category is a great idea, John. I've seen this implemented on other forums. Posted 2 examples but there are similar themes on many other forums.
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/forums/project-plans-drawings.161/
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?board=4.0
https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/forums/plans.12/

There is no right or wrong and this is a great first start to discuss what people would like it to be (or not to be). Here are some of my random thoughts.

- the focus should be PLANS ie. with some reasonable expectation that someone could build from those files, or make a decent start towards completion. So if you fabricated a part but it never turned into even a back of napkin sketch (no plans), best to post that in one of the other build or work-in-progress categories. But if a drawing eventually developed this category would be a great repository.

- I think links to other websites is perfectly fine. In fact, that can really help to keep our site lean & organized. I've seen this scenario just as example. Someone posts 'looking for machinist jack plans' & magically 20 website links are provided from members personal saves or whatever & the files themselves are hosted & maintained elsewhere. This can also help give some overview, maybe features you like.

- Drawings (and I use this word loosely) seems to be the most controversial thing. Hobbyists have very diverse backgrounds & budgets & resources. Personally, I have found PDF format to be a good starting point or compromise. Why? Because the objective is to provide someone a document with minimal fuss or specialized knowledge to make it a paper shop drawing. So ideally just download, print & you are on your way. Even if you use older/simpler software that doesn't export as PDF directly, there are usually free print utilities where you select PDF just like you would select your physical printer & get the desired end result. Alternatively if you have hand drawn paper sketches complete with coffee ring stain & no interest in software, that paper can be scanned as PDF. If not on your personal device then at Staples or whatever. As long as its legible, its better than nothing & no software is required. There are members who can help with this stuff.

- Files is something a bit different & its important to make the distinction to ^above^. This would represent output from software that is needed for another purpose. So for example a 2D file like .dxf that can be issued to a laser, water jet or cnc router cutting service. They don't really care about dimensions like the PDF, they need the scaled outlines. Or the file can be ingested into different CAD software. This is simplifying things a bit but generally true. Then there is 3D files. Yet more formats but one would use this to do a 3D print, 3D cnc machining etc.

- we need to be reasonably cognizant of distribution/rights. If you post your design on this forum, don't be surprised if it pops up elsewhere. Its the connected world we live in. At best it might be a link back to the originating website but I've also seen blatant plagiarism. If you post or redirect to someone else's work, at least look for obvious copyright to ensure you are not getting anyone in hot water.
I use an image scanning app all the time, take pictures with my phone, edit them, then email them as a PDF file. All from one app. Very handy. I mostly just use it to send paperwork instead of using a fax machine

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
So there should be some content rules.. This is what hobby machinist has:

Policy on Ownership of Plans & Drawings on this site:​
Your plans & drawings will not be sold to anyone by us for profit.​
We have no intention of monetizing the contributions on this site and selling them to a commercial entity.​
Your posted materials remain your property.​
By posting, you agree to permit and license us without limitation to use and display them on the site, and you agree not to remove them, or render them unusable.​
You agree not to disable the plans and drawings or posts should you leave the site, or be asked to leave.​
Other than the above license, your postings belong to you, to share as you see fit with others.​
The site is not for sale, nor are any of its materials for sale by us.​
And maybe one addition - people are welcome and encouraged to make revisions and post their variations.

Any objections or additions? Can we just use this same verbage?

Should we make the posts more 'editable' by members ? ie make the Edit button visible so people can modify their post. @Jwest7788 can we make that feature available in this one forum and make the edit button only visible to the original post author? Then they can make revisions?

Yes I think you could post a simple sketch - here is one. This is a vise standoff Dabbler and I are mucking with. The idea is it's an 'out fence' for your mill vise. Bolt to mill table with t nut through the slot. Long edge is perpendicular to your jaw long edge.

1599517687794.png

1599518148668.png

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Testing other file types. .STL or 3D triangle file usually for 3d printing is NOT directly uploadable. But archiving it to .zip makes the file uploadable. Can somebody please verify the download and extract results in a usable file?

Attachments

• vise height stand off.stl.zip
    443 KB · Views: 0

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Similarly a Fusion 3d export file is not directly uploadable but the .zip file is uploadable. Can somebody with Fusion please try downloading this model to verify the archiving is working?

Attachments

• Vise height stand off - SAM v4.f3d.zip
    133.9 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
We might have to be careful about 'revision' vs 'version/rendition'. I only know this too well keeping track of my own parts & subsequent changes. If I upload a machinist jack design called PT-1 and John modifies the dimensions or threads to suit his own needs, that's perfectly fine. But he should probably call it JA-1 along with a note that he modified this & that for whatever reason. Because if I come along later to fix an error, or especially if it was part of an assembly where this part has to fit that part, things can get out of sync. Simple stuff wont be an issue. And its always a good habit to check things over & ask clarifying questions before committing to 'making'.

Another issue is when the drawing count gets up there. This is less familiar territory to me but I think the easiest thing is bundle them up in a zip file. Because I think to assemble 10 random PDF's into the equivalent of pages into a single PDF requires software. There are freebees out there. I tried a lower cost app called SODAPDF for a year but didn't continue after it expired. Some features were fine but other aspects were kind of flaky (partly related to what I was trying to do). Adobe Acrobat is probably the gold standard for professionals but it also costs real money.
https://www.sodapdf.com/

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Fusion 3d -- confirmed ability to open F3d file on Mac OS. Not sure I understand the part, but it opened.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I note hobby machinist is polluted with people asking for plans. That's annoying. I think asking should go in the questions forum.