New 3D printer

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't normally like to wait forever for things to mature. In fact, most of the time I am an early adopter. My bride and I used txt on a numeric keyboard on the early cell phones. It was called T9 back then. We both loved it cuz we could chat without anyone having any idea what we were doing.

But in this case, I've been waiting for the technology to mature. Some say it is ready now, but I'm confess I'm hesitant.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
In the past 12 months, there has been significant progress in 3DP. The main aspects make for a plug-and-play experience, and significantly faster printing, with a wider range of materials for all of the higher end printers.

I don't think we are all there yet, but at least the current ones won't be boat anchors in the foreseeable.

If I didn't have 4,000 projects on the go, I'd give one of the current offerings a shot.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
In the past 12 months, there has been significant progress in 3DP. The main aspects make for a plug-and-play experience, and significantly faster printing, with a wider range of materials for all of the higher end printers.

I don't think we are all there yet, but at least the current ones won't be boat anchors in the foreseeable.

If I didn't have 4,000 projects on the go, I'd give one of the current offerings a shot.
Alright. You got me! I only have 42 projects on the go. You win!

lucsimoneau

FYI, I bought this last year with no real project in mind - finally my partner used it much more than I did making toys for the grandkids. I've used it a lot to validate some designs before committing to machining metal. Just finished printing up some tool box widgets for sorting my wrench's.
1696471958337.png

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I need to 3D print a box to hold the Teensy 3.5 plugged into the proto board. Tonight, since my cables arrived from China I wired up the stepper motor for Joint 4 and the encoder and then got it to move.

I know. Simple. But I'm trying to get a handle on how the software works even if I don't have the metal parts for the robot arm yet.

This is the smallest motor of the lot. The driver is max 30V so I used a 24V/5V supply I built back in 1992 in The Netherlands. The Teensy 3.5 is powered by USB and the 5V from that USB powers the encoder. I was able to make the robot software turn the motor. Good times. 1696489211746.jpeg