• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Need Help in selecting a DRO for Craftex CX 601 mill drill

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Folks
I have decided on magnetic scales
Are the computer connections universal or are they proprietary
Thanks
Al

The simple answer is that they are NOT universal. They do seem to all work the same way and they may even have common signals, but in my experience, the pins are not designated the same and one cannot assume that one make of DRO Readout will interchange with another make's scales even though they work identically and may even use the same connectors.

If you want to interchange them you will need to determine the pin out and voltages and then move wires and you might even need to make an interface adapter.

I think this is intentional on the makers part to keep you captive to their products. I don't like it, but there is no incentive for them to do otherwise.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Hard to beat Newall DRO's, but they aren't cheap.

my advise and opinion is three axis is must have for a mill with the Z mounted on the knee. I see lots of two axis installs which is great for some stuff but I wouldn't want to be with without the 3rd so I can dimension work.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
my advise and opinion is three axis is must have for a mill with the Z mounted on the knee.

I agree.

But I sure do like my 4 axis system with the 4th on the quill and my DRO unit adding the quill and knee together.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I agree.

But I sure do like my 4 axis system with the 4th on the quill and my DRO unit adding the quill and knee together.
Yes I wish I would have known about the 4th axis option with the DRO when I did my mill. That would be very nice. But I probably would have been too cheap to do it any how.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
Folks
I have decided on magnetic scales
Are the computer connections universal or are they proprietary
Thanks
Al
The links in post 19 are a good place to start. The advice given in the glass scale pinout link should apply as well to mag scales, the most important advice being don't just plug them in without verifying the pinout.

Your scale manufacturer should provide pinout but verifying them is a good idea too.

D :cool:

Ontarioal

I have not picked a specific magnetic scale yet
I would like to know if some are universal or some have proprietary connections it will assist me in making a final decision
Cheers
Al

Aliva

Super User
The budget is going to dictate the DRO you pick. Aliexpress has $300 packages were as Newall, Fagor and others are pricey. I have a Fagor on my mill with glass scales and believe the prices are around $1800. Don't know the Newall prices. DRO pros I understand has some good packages for a reasonable price

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @Ontarioal - nothing beats a home town reference. Our own @Darren is in Thunderbay too and I know he has a Ditron DRO on at least one of his machines. He is a really cool guy and very knowledgeable too. But I haven't seen him on the forum in a while so he is prolly busy as an ant on a hot chocolate bar....... or vacationing on Venus. Send him a PM, I'd bet he can answer most of your questions in ways that others can't.

Here is a link to my own Ditron install. I'm older than dirt so it's been a long project but I am almost done - just need to get two chip shields done. If my bride let's me outside to play a bit, maybe this week it will be a wrap.

Thread 'Installing a DRO on a Hartford Bridgeport Clone.' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/installing-a-dro-on-a-hartford-bridgeport-clone.4852/

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@Susquatch , thanks for the kind words. Yes, been swamped with work. Still jump on here to check it out though.

@Ontarioal I have a Ditron D80 on my Emco V13 lathe. I really like it. I also have a new one in the box for a small mill project that i'm working on.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @Ontarioal - I was looking for something else and found the pin out info for the Ditron magnetic scale read head.

Scale Pinout for D9 Connector
1 A-
2 0V
3 B-
4 Shield
5 Z-
6 A+
7 5V
8 B+
9 Z+

A & B are the square wave quadrature outputs and Z is the sync to A.

I do not know how that relates to other scales by other manufacturers. If you find more info, please post it here. I'd like to know too.

Ontarioal

Thanks to all for their inputs.
I watched several DRO Pros videos and coupled with the information provided here i will make a well informed decision
I have not yet settled on a provider I do like magnetic scales .
I thought I had a X power feed but its a vertical i could make it work but i lose 5 inches of travel on end that the feed is mounted
I need a horizontal but it seems that the bore of the driven gear is 17 mm The Craftex shaft is !2.7mm I can machine an adaptor.
My question is What are the Craftex 601 owners out there doing for a. power feed
I will be looking to sell the vertical unit (cheap)
Cheers
Al

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I made a power feed out of a car window motor I bought at Princess. It was mounted in a little wooden box I made with 4 wheels. It turned a little slot in a plate mounted to the hand wheel. For speed control I bought a hobby grade PWM. It no longer works but I’ve since bought bigger equipment with power feed. There are some posts on here somewhere about that project.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Haha I found it. my goodness 2015…

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I thought I had a X power feed but its a vertical i could make it work but i lose 5 inches of travel on end that the feed is mounted
I need a horizontal but it seems that the bore of the driven gear is 17 mm The Craftex shaft is !2.7mm I can machine an adaptor.
My question is What are the Craftex 601 owners out there doing for a. power feed
I will be looking to sell the vertical unit (cheap)
Cheers
Al

I'm not following..... What Power Feed do you have and why do you loose 5" of travel?

Ontarioal

Its vertical the one busy bee sells
It hangs down and hits the base of the mill
I relined that I need a horizontal set up made specifically for Mill Drills

Ontarioal

Janger
I looked at your Home built feed It works but I am now looking at PM unit designed for bench top mills (horizontal PF-bench-ALB-310S-X)
I purchased the Aline Feed from Busy Bee I asked them if it would fit They sent me drawings But No Advice.
They could have said No! I learned my lesson that's why I asked about DRO's and learned a lot from this board before I purchase a DRO again thanks to all for your suggestions .
Cheers
Al