• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Need Adapter German Bottles to CGA Regulators

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Do all tanks need to be vertical? Propane and acetylene definitely do. Potential Safety issues better be careful.

tinkering

Do all tanks need to be vertical? Propane and acetylene definitely do. Potential Safety issues better be careful.

You can store or transport any of the tanks horizontally or vertically; just make sure the caps are on and they can not roll around.
I have heard of argon being used while it was horizontal. Acetylene is a special case; it has an inch or two of acetone in the bottom, that could (a chance in millions) be expelled from a horizontal cylinder. The acetone can cause problems with the regulator seals and things. Maybe it could pose a fire hazard too if it squirts out of the tip.
The bottom line is to stand it upright for a couple of hours before using it.
Generally speaking it makes sense to me to use all types of gases in a vertical position so there isn't liquid passing into the mixing chamber... correct me if I'm wrong.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The amount of O2 you go through is not enough different between Propane and acetylene to care much. Flame adjustment/tip size means much more. To get the same heat MJ of heat, you'll burn about the same O2 +/- a little. :)

Check with OxyPro: I think O2 has to be stored vertically or it does something to the valve (or is that just an urban myth) ???? :confused:

tinkering

The amount of O2 you go through is not enough different between Propane and acetylene to care much. Flame adjustment/tip size means much more. To get the same heat MJ of heat, you'll burn about the same O2 +/- a little. :)

Check with OxyPro: I think O2 has to be stored vertically or it does something to the valve (or is that just an urban myth) ???? :confused:
Rob at OxyPro 42nd said oxygen can be stored horizontally with no problems.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I think i want the 55cf oxygen tank from KMS. @Janger you had said a few months ago you thought oxy pro was a better deal. Do i have that right? Sorry i cant remember at all. I dont need a big tank though because i will use it about once a month probably.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@tinkering posted a good summary:
2. OxyPro (Oxygen Products Ltd. 42 Ave SE. 403 243 2601)
- 125 CF (4 1/2 foot) $295 filled, $40 refill
- 80 CF $260 filled, $34 refill
- 50 CF (3 foot) $235 filled, $30 refill

@Alexander So I think a 50 or a 80 is pointless as the 125 is much bigger for little additional money.

tinkering

@Alexander So I think a 50 or a 80 is pointless as the 125 is much bigger for little additional money.

A few wee corrections here, but they don't change it much:
- 125 CF Actually is 122 CF (4 1/2 foot Actually is 4 foot even) $295 filled, $40 refill
- 80 CF Actually 3 foot $260 filled, $34 refill
- 50 CF (Actually 2 or 2 1/2 foot 3 foot) $235 filled, $30 refill
I'm thinking about picking up a 122 CF tomorrow; it still looks like the best deal.

Last edited:

alman

I called 5 gas outlets in Calgary:
Some gave me approximate tank dimensions, some gave me volume, so it's a wee bit convoluted. There should be enough information to help make the decision on which store to use. I'm sick at home today so I figured I would post all of my findings:)

1. Praxair
- 3 and 4 foot high tanks (CF?) are rental only $110/yr
- 2 foot tank (20 CF?), $300 buy outright

3. OxyPro (Oxygen Products Calgary Ltd. 61 Ave SE. 403 279 5055)
- 244 CF $795 filled, $70 refill
- 122 CF $495 filled, $60 refill
- 80 CF $300 filled, $50 refill

It's strange that the two OxyPro stores have differing prices, but the 42nd Ave SE store is cheaper.

4. KMS
- 250 CF (5 foot) $410 plus $52 to fill
- 110 CF $300 plus $33 to fill
- 80 CF $280 plus $26 to fill
- 55 CF $240 plus $25 to fill
- 20 CF $150 plus $17 to fill

KMS has DEC 2016 CHRISTMAS Sale 15th to 17th
The sale prices roughly equate to a free initial fill.

*It looks like KMS sells Air Liquide gasses:)

5. Air Liquide

They do all rentals except for the 'ALBEE' tank,
(3 foot) $298 filled $44 refill
rental prices:
- up to 3 foot $0.49/day, $65/yr
- over 3 foot $0.52/day, $99/yr

- #44 tank (5 foot) $72 to fill
- #22 (to yer chest) $52 to fill
- #16 (3 foot) $51 to fill
- #9 $50 to fill

If a guy doesn't have $300 or $500 to spare and the job isn't tooo big, rental could get 'im by until the funds come home:)

Oxy-Pro on 42 will always go out of their way to help, best prices round, , , I an other welders avoid the 61 ave location, , more reasons than 1, , but confidential, , , CASH works best at Oxy Pro (41 ave)

tinkering

A few wee corrections here, but they don't change it much:
- 125 CF Actually is 122 CF (4 1/2 foot Actually is 4 foot even) $295 filled, $40 refill
- 80 CF Actually 3 foot $260 filled, $34 refill
- 50 CF (Actually 2 or 2 1/2 foot 3 foot) $235 filled, $30 refill
I'm thinking about picking up a 122 CF tomorrow; it still looks like the best deal.

@Alexander So I think a 50 or a 80 is pointless as the 122 is much bigger for little additional money.
I went ahead and bought the 122 CF tank; I went with the best deal, and I don't have to worry about running out of oxygen for quite awhile. The one foot difference in height between the 80 and 122 isn't going to have any bearing on storage my space. They are both the same diameter so they fit the cart equally well. The bigger tanks are cheaper to refill too:)

I'm going to fire the torch up tomorrow.

I'm going to use the old Craftsman (Harris) torch and regulators that I inherited. I just about got a cutting head from eBay yesterday. Does anybody have one of those kicking around:)? I'll start another thread about the torch in awhile.

Last edited:

tinkering

I haven't fired up the torch yet. I am putting a cart together. I figured for the sake of safety I would have the bottles secured on a cart before I start making any gas connections. I made the cart more stable than it was.

Another great surprise I had was finding 3 more acetylene welding tips, an original manual, and a cutting torch attachment!! These things were in the bottom of the box of torch stuff that I inherited!

tinkering

I will post a picture of my setup when I get a chance with my camera. It might be as late as next fall but I will do it.
Thanks for all the help everyone!