• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Need a bed surface ground.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I shimmed between the base, and the round column, which is directly underneath those bolts.

Ok, that makes sense to me. I still need to do mine some day. What do you think of the mill in general now? I'm having a bit of a struggle switching between drilling and milling and not sure a lower profile vise will solve that issue.

What material did you shim with?

When I was an tool and die apprentice one of the things that was taught to the machine repair trade was a thing called scraping.
It was the most accurate method of achieving flatness, parallalism, and squareness and on a a machine bed.
No mechanical pressure or heat from a grinding wheel, just a dial indicator and hand work to get the accuracy you need.
You may actually see scraping marks on a lot of mill and lathe beds, and not realize they were all done by hand.
Scraping involves a scraper,a granite table and a dial indicator and a lot of time to check your work.
There is a video on youtube called "What is metal scraping?" by NYC CNC. it will explain scraping and why it is used.
I believe there are other videos showing the technique of scraping on youtube as well.
-George