Nardini lathe, $3500, Oakville, ON

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
IMG_9883.jpeg

Posting in large part to solicit opinions (though if someone else falls in love with it, it’s all theirs).

I went to have a look at this last night. Looks sound mechanically, but I suspect some electrical issues.

Seller (ex-Polish fighter pilot!) said he bought it 8 months ago, hasn’t used it, and is now shutting down his business (industrial automation, if anyone’s looking for a little robotic arm or about 1000 spools of PLA filament, give him a shout).

Digging around last night I couldn’t find a manual for a 1440E, but I found one for the Nardini 1400E. It states moving the spindle rotation lever down will engage ‘forward’ rotation, up will produce reverse, and moving to neutral will engage an electromagnetic brake.

On the 1440, down has no effect, up produces forward rotation, and there is no braking in neutral.

There’s just the one chuck, three tool holders, open steady rest and follower. No tailstock accessories.

Trying to decide how much I feel like another ‘project’ machine. $2000 worth? $2500? If someone’s been in the electrical cabinet, they had a reason to go in there, and that was the best outcome they could produce…

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Not a 1440 but a Nardini restoration thread.
This is a 1440

Tecnico

(Dave)
Since it was sold by them, a quick call to HH Roberts might bag you a pdf manual. I spoke to them in my mill shopping quest and found them to be willing to chat and offer advice.

D :cool: