Mystery Mill

The cross feed nuts were badly worn so I ordered up new nuts thinking that it's regular acme. Nope, British acme is different. Ordered up matching threaded rod.
Machined the first nut to press fit in. One more pass on the lathe to finish the second and the smoke rolls out of my lathe motor.
The slides all cleaned very well.
I think I found the manufacturer. Looks like a Marlow. This isn't the exact machine but the head and body are in the same style.
Marlow.gif
IMG_4227.JPG

I managed to get the Y axis done. Machined (I am using this term loosely cause I'm not a machinist and machinist tradesman would probably shake their head at my work) the new lead screw to fit the rest of the old parts. Including using my lathe (now with a new motor and VFD) to cut the 3/16" key way into it. Broached a matching one in the handle where there was only an 1/8" for the woodruff key.
IMG_4229.JPG IMG_4230.JPG IMG_4231.JPG
Just because I like doing difficult things the hardest way possible, a power feed for the X axis was in order.
This unit is supposed to fit a Bridgeport, I'm going to make it fit a Marlow.
Made the adapter plate made from 1/2" steel. Everything fits up. I counter sunk the adapter bolts so the power drive would fit. I'm hoping the the 2 - 3/8" bolts are going to be enough to hold it in the BSW holes. I will keep an eye on them, If I find them loosening up, I may have to over size them to 1/2".
Just the hard part of making the lead screw fit. Going to have to turn it down smooth then install a sleeve over it to size it up.
The table is upside down on my bench, just easier to make it this way.
IMG_4232.JPG IMG_4233.JPG IMG_4235.JPG

I managed to turn a piece of bar stock into the end for the handle and power feed adapter.
IMG_4239.JPG IMG_4238.JPG
Turned down the end of the lead screw for a heat shrink fit into the end of it.
Test fit everything on the bench, had to make a minor adjustment to the lead screw end as it didn't go into the end of the adapter as far as expected.
IMG_4246.JPG
IMG_4248.JPG

IMG_4249.JPG
All together and ready to make chips! There's a few little things I still need to do, but I'm really happy how it has worked out so far.
It's been quite a challenge for me. Did a bunch of things I've never done before including, cut threads on a lathe, milling shafts for keyways on a lathe, heat shrink fitting 2 pieces together, programming a VFD. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.