Mystery Mill

I stumbled across this milling machine. Owner was moving, so stopped by and asked if they wanted to sell it or move it. They hadn't used it since they got it 10 years ago, so it was time to go.
There is no name on it any where. There's a vendor tag on it from Federal Machinery in Toronto, a company long gone, that's it.
Spindle head is MT-3, there's a 2 speed gear box in the pulley drive. It came with a 1/2" HP motor on it. It's old, very solid, not Chinese, as all the bolts are standard.
M plan is to clean it up and put a 1HP with a VFD on it.
If anyone recognizes it let me know. I really like some more info on it.
IMG_4173.JPG

I stumbled across this milling machine. Owner was moving, so stopped by and asked if they wanted to sell it or move it. They hadn't used it since they got it 10 years ago, so it was time to go.
There is no name on it any where. There's a vendor tag on it from Federal Machinery in Toronto, a company long gone, that's it.
Spindle head is MT-3, there's a 2 speed gear box in the pulley drive. It came with a 1/2" HP motor on it. It's old, very solid, not Chinese, as all the bolts are standard.
View attachment 36276
Can't help with a maker yet, but sure would be a happy little boy if that was my new toy. See if you can get some more pictures from a few different angles, I am pretty sure someone will recognize it.

Richy77

Brand New Member
Sorry, can't recognize it with without brand name or model number. Can you share more photos. I'm not sure about it, Just wanted to find out.

Couple of notes.

There is no quill, the knee is your only z axis.
Head rotates for horizontal work.

Finally I would look at a 1-1/2 to 2hp motor. Less would be not be worth the effort or cost.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Clausing and Rockwell made mini knee mills at one time. The pictures I've seen of the Clausing have had the Clausing name cast into the body. I'm not sure about not having a quill, and if the fasteners are really all non metric and original, I'd definitely think it is of non Asian origin.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
View attachment 36276
Based on its appearance I think you should check the Japanese machinery information, too many Japanese machinery from the 60's to 80's have this similar style

terry_g

Ultra Member
Years ago I rebuilt a Nissan J13 engine, It was made in Japan and all the threaded fasteners were SAE inch sizes.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Years ago I rebuilt a Nissan J13 engine, It was made in Japan and all the threaded fasteners were SAE inch sizes.

Guessing that was a very long time ago! Prolly from back when Japan copied everything they did. A lot has changed since then and Japanese designs are often the ones that get copied now.

Took the head off to start cleaning and a new mount for the 1HP 3 phase motor. Still can't find any manufacturer name on it. The bolts are all standard thread but the heads are some weird size, not standard, not metric. I'm thinking it's British (the old motor was made in England) and the bolts are Whitworth. I replaced all the bolts with standard.
Bad news is a gear in the gearbox has a tooth knocked off. It's only for slow speed, so that what the VFD will be for anyway.

IMG_4189.JPG

Rauce

Ultra Member
I’d suggest repairing the gear, you’ll want the extra torque that mechanical reduction gives you at low speeds.

You can braze or weld depending on the material of the gear and file it into the tooth shape.

Regarding identification you could try emailing pictures and any info to the lathes.co.uk site to see if they recognize it.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Took the head off to start cleaning and a new mount for the 1HP 3 phase motor. Still can't find any manufacturer name on it. The bolts are all standard thread but the heads are some weird size, not standard, not metric. I'm thinking it's British (the old motor was made in England) and the bolts are Whitworth. I replaced all the bolts with standard.
Bad news is a gear in the gearbox has a tooth knocked off. It's only for slow speed, so that what the VFD will be for anyway.

View attachment 36344
Drop off the gear, I will braze the tooth/teeth for you!

Nevermind, I noticed you are Ontario. Sorry

Thanks for the repair offers guys. Some day when I get time I may try TIGing up the gear and filing it to shape.
I have the motor on and VFD wired up, working sweet!!
Cleaning up shape in the shop to have a place for it.
I cleaned and measured the bolts I removed and am sure that they are Withworth. Don't plan on buying any withworth tools.;)
That Lathes.uk site is huge. Will have to do some digging to see if I find a match there.

KeeponDragon

Super User
This thing looks really freaking heavy Mike
Great find, was the PO at least willing to part with it for a reasonable price?
What size is the table on it?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
By the handles and the headstock casting, it looks like a Russian clone of a British mill. best I've got.