• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Myford Super 7

trlvn

Ultra Member
Brand new, the Super 7 was probably better fit and finish them most Asian lathes. But as a hobbyist, I don’t mind spending time and sweat equity to get my Asian machinery up to an acceptable fit & finish. I’m not earning a living from my lathe, but if I was it wouldn’t be from a Super 7.
Do you mean you would hand scrape the mating metal parts of a Chinese lathe to get to the same or better tolerances than the experienced hands at Myford were achieving in the 1950s? A few years ago, Keith Rucker did an extensive set of videos on rebuilding an old Monarch (?) to tolerances that were as good as or better than when the lathe was new from the factory. It took an enormous amount of meticulous work to get the surfaces extremely flat, in the same plane and either square or parallel to the related mating pieces. For example the mating dovetails of the saddle and cross-slide took days of work. I don't think there is a Chinese-built lathe anywhere that would achieve that level of precision.

Modern CNC production has certainly increased productivity. One 'trained' technician can watch over a whole fleet of CNC machines. For most applications, the machines produced this way are "good enough". But I think the high-end, hand-scraped machines of yesteryear were in a completely different class.

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just add fuel, lots and lots of fuel; what ever doesn't get burned gets breathed in by anyone following too close. No electronics, no extra plumbing, just exactly what is needed and nothing more. Is that what you meant @Susquatch ? :) There are probably still black circles on the wall of our parking spot at Palace Place from start ups :)

Yes, it's exactly what I mean. FOR ME, nothing beats the primitive unbridled feel of pure raw power anxious to leap to the careful touch of my foot on the throttle.

Yes, I enjoy the finessed high quality feel and performance of a modern car or truck - after all making them what they are now was the career focus of my life for 34 years. But I miss my 1970 Boss Mustang more than I have missed anything I ever owned since then. Maybe it's a little like the first time you ever have sex. In hind sight, you know it sure as heck wasn't the best, but then again perhaps it was!

My old machines are not the best by any stretch. But together we make great music and we create wonderful things that only a few can really appreciate. I am happy with that.

When I turn my shop lights off for the last time, I will smile - knowing it was all an important part of a life well lived. It won't matter if my machines were the best or the worst. They were a part of who I was and who I am.

Yes, it's exactly what I mean. FOR ME, nothing beats the primitive unbridled feel of pure raw power anxious to leap to the careful touch of my foot on the throttle.

Yes, I enjoy the finessed high quality feel and performance of a modern car or truck - after all making them what they are now was the career focus of my life for 34 years. But I miss my 1970 Boss Mustang more than I have missed anything I ever owned since then. Maybe it's a little like the first time you ever have sex. In hind sight, you know it sure as heck wasn't the best, but then again perhaps it was!

My old machines are not the best by any stretch. But together we make great music and we create wonderful things that only a few can really appreciate. I am happy with that.

When I turn my shop lights off for the last time, I will smile - knowing it was all an important part of a life well lived. It won't matter if my machines were the best or the worst. They were a part of who I was and who I am.
Amen brother......

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Do you mean you would hand scrape the mating metal parts of a Chinese lathe to get to the same or better tolerances than the experienced hands at Myford were achieving in the 1950s? A few years ago, Keith Rucker did an extensive set of videos on rebuilding an old Monarch (?) to tolerances that were as good as or better than when the lathe was new from the factory. It took an enormous amount of meticulous work to get the surfaces extremely flat, in the same plane and either square or parallel to the related mating pieces. For example the mating dovetails of the saddle and cross-slide took days of work. I don't think there is a Chinese-built lathe anywhere that would achieve that level of precision.

Modern CNC production has certainly increased productivity. One 'trained' technician can watch over a whole fleet of CNC machines. For most applications, the machines produced this way are "good enough". But I think the high-end, hand-scraped machines of yesteryear were in a completely different class.

Craig
100% in agreement that hand-scraped high-end machines of yesteryear are glorious. A few years ago my pre-retirement shop bought a cherry Monarch 62 and a Webster-Bennet 54” vertical lathe. I would consider swapping my first-born for the Monarch if I had the room and three-phase power.

A Myford is probably not in the same league. I’ve never used one so I shouldn’t have criticized it, my point is the asking price seems a bit daunting compared to a new perfectly useable machine.

The only issue I have with Chinese stuff is that we in North America only get the crap. Absolutely guaranteed that there are craftsmen and companies in China who can and do produce equipment as good as anything available in the West. We just never see it here because we only import cheap.

I’m of northern European and English heritage. 3000 years ago, some of my ancestors were likely running around nude, painting themselves blue, and worshiping trees. Chinese artisans were making these.

EDBD4D1F-30B4-4D16-B166-0A9C40AE07A3.jpeg 85066108-439E-477E-BB44-4CFBAB6D6CC9.jpeg

If you are looking and considering something like a PM, look at BB, likely less money same product with some minor variations and less options at likely a lower price (considering exchange).

I must agree that there arw good used old machines out there but if you are looking for let it work straight out of the box without tune up, consider new. If you are into rebuilding and have time and resources to get perfection old is acceptable.

As to scraped beds and the like, the ability to grind to the same level of precision has increase greatly (to the point of matching scraped) at a significantly lower in high volume. So as far as I'm concerned this is no longer an issue.

At the smaller scale of lathes (under 12x36) here I think while prices are still high it is a race to the lowest cost and one must be careful. Again here used may be better.

At 12x36 and above they fall into light commercial and here you see a jump in product quality for a little extra cost. If you want a good comparision of pricing compare the BB CX707, the similar sized PM and Grizzly models (PM gives the best option list letting you go from BB product all the way to Grizzly version with the prices changing accordingly).

trlvn

Ultra Member
if you are looking for let it work straight out of the box without tune up, consider new
I generally agree with what you are saying but...an import lathe needs a tune up even when new. Mine certainly came with grit, chips and filthy oil in all the wrong places. I stripped, cleaned and lubricated all the major components before doing anything with the machine. I haven't changed the headstock and apron oil yet but I really should. I deburred quite a few sharp edges, along the way. I want to do some measurements and tuning.

If I'd bought a good quality, undamaged older machine, I probably would not have done much more work getting it ready to make first chips.

FWIW,

Craig

Overall my machine was pretty good out if the box to use ASAP other than typical setup requirements. I will fine tune (in my spare time) to maximize the performance and my first oil change(s) is coming soon likely in a week or two (headstock, gearbox and apron). Sigh the curse of modern machines.