• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Myford Super 7 Victoria BC $600

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nice lathe (qcgb) at a good price. Finally a chip pan design that's easy to clean too. Hope you snag it David, but the bait and switch would have me walk just on principal.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice lathe (qcgb) at a good price. Finally a chip pan design that's easy to clean too. Hope you snag it David, but the bait and switch would have me walk just on principal.
I was prepared to walk too but I think the reality is that it's widow selling her husband's tools so she had zero idea of price.
$600 was completely bonkers. That's less than a new mini-lathe.
$1000 was still way below market. Especially here.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I was prepared to walk too but I think the reality is that it's widow selling her husband's tools so she had zero idea of price.
$600 was completely bonkers. That's less than a new mini-lathe.
$1000 was still way below market. Especially here.
If it's a Widow situation that softens my response a lot. If it was just some goober that didn't do market research before hand, and was trying to jack me around, I wouldn't waste any more time chasing moving goalposts.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
If it's a Widow situation that softens my response a lot. If it was just some goober that didn't do market research before hand, and was trying to jack me around, I wouldn't waste any more time chasing moving goalposts.
Totally, I checked the sellers FB profile and the background in the pics leads me to believe their spouse was an avid shop fellow.

trevj

Ultra Member
Great score!

Use it a while, before you flip it! :) I figure the only thing that will separate me from mine, is a better one of same, or a well tooled Schaublin 135 or 150!

Proxule

Ultra Member
I dislike and disrespect sellers who do that, 600 to 1000 to 1300. What happened??

I wouldn't touch that thing unless it comes with that furnace filter. Total waste of money otherwise!!!!!!!
:D

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I dislike and disrespect sellers who do that, 600 to 1000 to 1300. What happened??

I wouldn't touch that thing unless it comes with that furnace filter. Total waste of money otherwise!!!!!!!
:D
I dont mind uneducated widows adjusting prices higher when people let them know they've made a mistake.. I dislike those who'd take advantage.

I hate though sellers who deliberately post a machine for $200 to gain a lot of initial interested and then jack the price up to 2500.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
The seller wife showed me the messages she got and there were at least 15 different people. Some were total a-holes to be honest. I wasn't the high bidder but was likely the most decent.

A good outcome in this case given its a widow, however in a way we're part of the problem here of generating excessive buzz for a listing. For everyone of us there are 10 lurkers and it increase noise substantially. I had that happen on a buy once. Got posted on PM (where posting someone else s ad is against the rules (laxly enforced) because of this) and the seller thought he had the hot item with six buyers chasing it. I know three them were from the states and afterward revealed themselve and said they were quite unlikely to make the drive.... but meanwhile the noise affected my bargaining position.

I hate though sellers who deliberately post a machine for $200 to gain a lot of initial interested and then jack the price up to 2500.

I have to believe that was a bone head mistake vs malicious strategy. It got attention but the move creates resentment....doubt it was intentional, then again who knows? Still frustrating at the time wasted, part of game i guess.

trevj

Ultra Member
Run the serial number and figure out the age of that Myford. My eye was drawn to the Apron, which is not the power cross feed apron, but is a fair bit later production date than the machine I have.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Some people way over value items, some are way under. I don't think its really a buyers responsibility to educate the seller. Its a free market. David got a decent enough deal and I hope he can turn a profit. Thats how its done.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Run the serial number and figure out the age of that Myford. My eye was drawn to the Apron, which is not the power cross feed apron, but is a fair bit later production date than the machine I have.

Have a look here:

trevj

Ultra Member
Have a look here:
Ooof!

Still, likely not a bad buy even for a clone! Not the screaming deal a real Myford would be, but still....

One thing that may be worth doing is perusing the Lathes.co.uk site's Myford Clones page, and see if you have yet another to add to the documented pile.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ooof!

Still, likely not a bad buy even for a clone! Not the screaming deal a real Myford would be, but still....

One thing that may be worth doing is perusing the Lathes.co.uk site's Myford Clones page, and see if you have yet another to add to the documented pile.
I’ve sent a bunch of pics to Tony and he’s not seen one like it. He wants a good shot of the full machine so I’ll shoot one tomorrow now that it’s cleaned up.