• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Myford super 7 metal lathe, Pincher Creek, $3000

trevj

Ultra Member
I have, over the years, bought and sold, rather a few lathes, and a couple milling machines. Most were to 'upgrade' my own shop.

Any conversation that is about value, real, perceived, or crack-pipe fantasy, is just that much more information that I have to go on, regarding any future deals I may make, or not make. Personally, given the stripped down nature of the Myford in this advert (missing the gears that should be in the gear cover, and not readily apparent in the photos, poor photos, and poor description by someone not familiar at all with proper terminology eg: "Complete gearbox to cut all possible threads", and "Loads of chissels", neither of which appear to be true by the pictures, this lathe really DOES need to be talked about, as the guy that bought it thinking it was ready to go, is the same guy that will spit on the very idea of being involved in this hobby, later on.

Folks, generally, need as much help and goodwill as they can get in this line of pursuit! Getting screwed on the way in, doesn't make for a great experience.

In the case of lathes, I have bought at least a couple, just because they were a screaming good deal. Those got passed on to folks for no, or almost no, markup, who either wanted or needed a lathe better than what they had, whether that was a beat to hells Atlas (in one case), or having started with none at all (several).

Despite the idea that we discuss "like a gaggle of old ladies", we at least, stay on top of the comings and goings of the few Hobby related Machine tools that come on to the market. This knowledge serves both us, those who will occasionally trade in machine tools on a small scale, and those whom we advise, who want to get 'in' to the hobby, who deserve to be handed the best information that they can get.

In short, I laugh at the foolishness of the post in which we who actually pay attention to what is going on, and why, we should be derided as a bunch of old ladies. :)

I will note one strange thing that I saw, and that was the similarity in phrasing, between the two very different lathes, this one above, and the one supposedly in Rocky Mountain House. I would hope that the buyers in either case, have held on to their money, until they saw the actual product being sold, lest they find themselves victims of a rip-off!