• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

MyFord ML7-R

Finhead

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm...so=ASC&sf=ferm-clos&lci=L601993&str=1&lotnf=1

FS2532149.JPEG

trevj

Ultra Member
Yeah, they claim it's "for Parts only".

Makes me ponder whether anything is actually wrong with it, or if it's just another case of an outfit clearing some space.

I see a steady and follow rests, a face plate, a dog driver, some gears, and the factory coolant pump and tank.

trevj

Ultra Member
I bought a diesel powered welding machine off CADC that was sold as "For Parts Only", and when I asked, the guy said they listed them as that, so the folks that buy them don't complain if it doesn't work.

FWIW, that welder had 12 hours on the hour meter.

trevj

Ultra Member
Yeah, in my time in the Military, I have seen an awful lot of waste and outright destruction of tools and equipment, just so that they could be removed from inventory. Stuff like lifting a lathe up on a forklift, and dropping it on the ground a few times, before dumping it in the scrap metal dumpster...

Other times it was less outright malicious, stuff like the guy that knew how to run the machine had ordered it in, and nobody wanted to put the time in to learn it, for instance.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Wow Hard to believe for a parts machine.
someone mentioned on an another thread that they are now listing them as such (sometimes?) so there are not buyer complaints over how well it works (or not). Seems rather a step backward, but hey, its a gov/bureaucracy so maybe its true.

trevj

Ultra Member
someone mentioned on an another thread that they are now listing them as such (sometimes?) so there are not buyer complaints over how well it works (or not). Seems rather a step backward, but hey, its a gov/bureaucracy so maybe its true.

That was me.

Coast Guard out of the Victoria Station listed a Acklands Diesel Powered Welding machine, with an 'air compressor and hoses' (the TIG HF start box, reg, gas lines, etc.), as being "For Parts Only".

I chucked a low bid in, just over $700, and was the high bidder. Miller makes almost all the Acklands Branded Welding Machines, so it was a Miller 225D Bobcat, with the TIG gear, painted Orange instead of Blue.

I asked, and the guy I was dealing with said that they listed it that way so folks don't complain. I laughed, and thanked him for helping me get such a great deal!

I am pretty much positive that it was NOT a CADC policy, as they pretty much will only give you any refunds, if the item is demonstrably, NOT what you bought, or the description was in error. The closest you will get for a Warranty, is "The Client Dep't claims item was working." And that, is not in any way a guarantee.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Week old me thought about going down there to have a look at it, but I have 3 lathes already so it didn't make the it up the priority list, now I regret not going to have a look and ask a few questions and judge myself. I haven't dealt with cadac here but when I was in Regina their attitude always seemed they didn't know anything about the item and basically wanted it gone. I used to deal alot with them in Regina always putting in low bids getting weird stuff and getting a look into different gov' t dept's. Probably my best score was 15 or so dual channel isa oscilloscopes for $150, a couple only one channel worked but the majority sold for $100+us on ebay.

trevj

Ultra Member
Week old me thought about going down there to have a look at it, but I have 3 lathes already so it didn't make the it up the priority list, now I regret not going to have a look and ask a few questions and judge myself. I haven't dealt with cadac here but when I was in Regina their attitude always seemed they didn't know anything about the item and basically wanted it gone. I used to deal alot with them in Regina always putting in low bids getting weird stuff and getting a look into different gov' t dept's. Probably my best score was 15 or so dual channel isa oscilloscopes for $150, a couple only one channel worked but the majority sold for $100+us on ebay.
Yeah, the guys on the floor at the CADC buildings, just want the Merch to move on through, with the least possible friction. They know little, if anything about the actual stuff, although sometimes, the CADC Contact may actually have a name and number of one of the former users of whatever it was.

I have bought a LOT of stuff from CADC over the years, including a car, that I still drive, and have had nothing but great service in general from the folks there. Sadly all the covidiocy came along and a lot of the lazier are pretty happy to no longer have to deal directly with anyone, but I figure that too, will work it's way out.