• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

My propane Forge, burner issues.

Hi all,
I posted a video on YouTube showing off my forge and I need some advice. The description in the video comments says it all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

I watched the video and the flame seems cool as well as the forge chamber. Give me a shout at 403 618 1298 and maybe we can sort out the problem.

Chad
Thanks Chad, I may call on you this weekend. Pretty busy these days. That said I modified my forge a bit today. Did some cutting of 2" conduit, drilled holes and taped them for 1/4 support screws and WELDED FOR THE FIRST TIME! It was a piss poor weld but it holds. My flame is about 200 x better than before but I still get a lot of blue flame belching from the opening at the front. Perhaps I need to enlarge my exhaust hole (1 1/4" atm).
Here's a couple pics, one of the new burner support and of the flame coming from my burner. I also removed all the threads in the 1" side of my flare for less drag on the gas. Seems much better now. I was able to get 1" steel rod red hot in about 4-5 minutes.
6f438f95717cb973625c5b74bb2cf6aa.jpg
3de9801fe6db2747b545f0320c243192.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I use a similar burner in a melting furnace. In a furnace you need to seal around where the burner goes into it so it doesn’t suck in any extra air. I don’t know if the same applies with a forge.

Dogpounder

How is performing now? I had similar problems with my first burner. What I did was machine a stainless steel nozzle that nozzle impedes the flow and decreases the air coming into the ventri. I upsized the tube to fit the hole in the side of the forge as John suggests to keep air from being sucked in around the burner and not mixed into the propane. 030 mig nozzle pointed straight down the centerline of the burner; important to get the mixture right. No joints in the main burner tube anywhere. Smooth flow is best. Bring your nozzle up inside the insulation of the forge so it last longer and stays out of the way to the steel. Hope that helps

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Adding air or restricting the gas flow to create a complete combustion within the burn chamber. fully controllable air is very important, sometimes it requires more than you think.