• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

My New Toy . . . Pocket NC V2-50

Richard Tymko

Just had to share...
Been without my Pocket NC for over three months. Sent it off for repair and an upgrade...
Just out of the box yesterday. Now if only I knew how to work it!!!

Pocket NC V2-50 (50000 RPM Spindle)

Another question... What type of cutter is this?

IMG_3410.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Cool.... Had to look it up on the web. What are you planning to do with it? Hobby stuff?

Richard Tymko

It is mainly for making sterling Silver jewellery. Mechanical clasps for bracelets. But some hobby stuff too. Not entirely sure what I can and can't do with it yet. My biggest hurdle is the CAM.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Just had to share...
Been without my Pocket NC for over three months. Sent it off for repair and an upgrade...

Pocket NC V2-50 (50000 RPM Spindle)

Another question... What type of cutter is this?

View attachment 5048

View attachment 5047
It’s a horizontal mill with 5 axis? What’s the control software? Where did that come from? Where did you buy it? Very interesting...

Richard Tymko

It’s a horizontal mill with 5 axis? What’s the control software? Where did that come from? Where did you buy it? Very interesting...
You are correct, It is a horizontal 5 axis mill. Linux CNC is the core controller with a web interface. I bought my original machine on Kickstarter in 2014 and just now upgraded to the V2-50.

Pocket NC is located in Montana.

Richard

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Its either carbide or HSS burr. I use it mostly to remove some excess material. In air powered hand grinder. I guess you could use them in a dremmel as well. Carbide ones are a bit pricey. Even PA sells HSS ones.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Just had to share...

Pocket NC V2
Holy cow! That thing is amazing!

Congrats :)

One question—when I went to the web site all the examples seemed to be wood, plastic or AL. Can it mill mild steel?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

It can as per video do 4140 and stainless so I think mild steel 1018 should not be an issue.

Just don't expect rigidity of a large machine from a bread-maker sized one. Also don't expect much in the area of accuracy when cutting harder stuff.

Last edited:

Richard Tymko

Holy cow! That thing is amazing!

Congrats :)

One question—when I went to the web site all the examples seemed to be wood, plastic or AL. Can it mill mild steel?
You bet, the V2-50 has a 50,000 rpm spindle which makes it very versatile. If you look at a guy on Instagram @ekramer3, he is cutting several types even titanium.

Richard Tymko

It can as per video do 4140 and stainless so I think mild steel 1018 should not be an issue.

Just don't expect rigidity of a large machine from a bread-maker sized one. Also don't expect much in the area of accuracy when cutting harder stuff.
I think you would be surprised at the rigidity of this little machine. You are welcome to come and see it some time.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
You bet, the V2-50 has a 50,000 rpm spindle which makes it very versatile. If you look at a guy on Instagram @ekramer3, he is cutting several types even titanium.
Wow. Lucky you. If that isn't fun I don't know what is.

I read up on the history of these guys, as I'm sure you did. I love when small companies start up like that, especially as a kickstart.

Were you one of the early adopters???

So cool. Please post as you learn how to use this little beauty.

Richard Tymko

Wow. Lucky you. If that isn't fun I don't know what is.

I read up on the history of these guys, as I'm sure you did. I love when small companies start up like that, especially as a kickstart.

Were you one of the early adopters???

So cool. Please post as you learn how to use this little beauty.

I was an early adopter, I bought my first one on Kickstarter. And now I am one of the first to get the V2-50's because I had a kickstarter machine. There support is over the top too. One of their guys spent an hour over the phone with me on Good Friday because I had an issue with my B table. Turned out to be a bad cable that got damaged during shipping.

I will post as I learn more as to what I am doing. It is so different than my first machine I feel like I am starting all over again.

Richard Tymko

Well, thanks for asking. Not using it much lately, my wife and I lost our jobs back in march due to covid and because it is a hobby, spending is halted. Plus I had shoulder surgery and out of commission for a few more weeks. But, I have done a few things with it...

I entered a micro machining competition last year and came in fourth with a micro lego guy out of aluminum.

It is a solid machine, and the company is great for support, but it is a niche product, and i'm finding it not to be well suited for the reasons I purchased it. My real focus is working with silver and I am finding that I go through cutters like crazy cutting silver because they go dull so, so quickly.

So I am pivoting and trying to find new ways to put it to good use... Any Ideas? I contacted a guy just last week who runs a water cutting shop and he is going to save his scrap aluminum for me. That way I can do some projects and not have to spend much on stock.

I also built a enclosure which was desperately needed.

Here are some photos of stuff I have done...

Completed.jpeg IMG_5562.png MiniFig.jpeg 977EE636-2794-465E-B62F-B4A9AE00E594.jpeg IMG_4209.jpeg