Product My new smile lathe chuck wrenches

Product

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've been exchanging a few PM's with @Janger and @CWret and feel like I'm leaving everyone else out of it.

A while back I got one of @a smile 's 11mm chuck wrenches. I mentioned the flying retainer and spring on another post. I've had it a while now and figured it's time for an update.

Bottom line is that it lives on my lathe now and the standard wrench has been moved to a storage drawer cuz I don't use it anymore. Prolly not much more I could say about the tool than that to demonstrate how much I like it.

Yes, everything can be improved. But for me, the acid test is how much I actually use it. The answer to that is that I use it a lot. It is a quality tool well worth the price. Others have described its features so I won't repeat them here.

I liked this tool so much that I bought a 12mm for my big chuck and a 3/8-10mm for my 5C collet chuck. The 12 is like the 11. Nothing but praise and a place on my lathe.

The 3/8-10 was another matter. I had hoped it would fit a 3/8 drive but that didn't happen. No biggie, I just decided to mill it down using a 5C indexer held in my Gerardi vise. That turned out to be not quite so easy. This tool is made of much harder stainless than I expected. It took a carbide endmill with a very slow feed rate to cut it down to size. Even so, the swarf ended up being mostly magnetic dust. Nonetheless, I was successful in the end and the tool worked beautiful on my chuck. Another T-Wrench hit the storage drawer. Best of all the 12V driver I use to spin the collets in and out went along to storage for the ride. VERY FAST AND VERY NICE!

20231213_164906.jpg

Then I got to looking at the two nuts that hold my compound in place on my cross-slide. I thought, now why couldn't i use the 3/8 driver and socket on those nuts too? I keep a big T-bar driver and 3/8 drive socket in my chip tray for that job.

The problem there is that the chuck wrench has no spring and detent ball system to hold the socket on. I was noodling that issue when it hit me. Who cares? Just leave the socket on the nut and get another socket for the other side! So here it is. I have a bunch of old sockets I got from my father in law before he passed. They can stay right there on those two nuts forever. If I ever got worried about losing them, I'd just permanently epoxy them onto the nuts!

20231213_164914.jpg

Bottom line....., yet another T Wrench hit the storage drawer...... Three really nice wrenches to replace 4 old style and a 12V driver too! Not bad! Not bad at all!

Very very happy! Highly recommended!

Last edited:

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
@Susquatch, I did the same thing with my @a smile 10mm wrench.Pulled it apart, stuck it in my 5C indexer and cut it down to 0.365” AF. Now it fits both my three-jaw and my 5C chuck. I used a regular 4-flute HSS mill, no problems at all.

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I've been exchanging a few PM's with @Janger and @CWret and feel like I'm leaving everyone else out of it.

A while back I got one of @a smile 's 11mm chuck wrenches. I mentioned the flying retainer and spring on another post. I've had it a while now and figured it's time for an update.

Bottom line is that it lives on my lathe now and the standard wrench has been moved to a storage drawer cuz I don't use it anymore. Prolly not much more I could say about the tool than that to demonstrate how much I like it.

Yes, everything can be improved. But for me, the acid test is how much I actually use it. The answer to that is that I use it a lot. It is a quality tool well worth the price. Others have described its features so I won't repeat them here.

I liked this tool so much that I bought a 12mm for my big chuck and a 3/8-10mm for my 5C collet chuck. The 12 is like the 11. Nothing but praise and a place on my lathe.

The 3/8-10 was another matter. I had hoped it would fit a 3/8 drive but that didn't happen. No biggie, I just decided to mill it down using a 5C indexer held in my Gerardi vise. That turned out to be not quite so easy. This tool is made of much harder stainless than I expected. It took a carbide endmill with a very slow feed rate to cut it down to size. Even so, the swarf ended up being mostly magnetic dust. Nonetheless, I was successful in the end and the tool worked beautiful on my chuck. Another T-Wrench hit the storage drawer. Best of all the 12V driver I use to spin the collets in and out went along to storage for the ride. VERY FAST AND VERY NICE!

View attachment 41553

Then I got to looking at the two nuts that hold my compound in place on my cross-slide. I thought, now why couldn't i use the 3/8 driver and socket on those nuts too? I keep a big T-bar driver and 3/8 drive socket in my chip tray for that job.

The problem there is that the chuck wrench has no spring and detent ball system to hold the socket on. I was noodling that issue when it hit me. Who cares? Just leave the socket on the nut and get another socket for the other side! So here it is. I have a bunch of old sockets I got from my father in law before he passed. They can stay right there on those two nuts forever. If I ever got worried about losing them, I'd just permanently epoxy them onto the nuts!

View attachment 41554

Bottom line....., yet another T Wrench hit the storage drawer...... Three really nice wrenches to replace 4 old style and a 12V driver too! Not bad! Not bad at all!

Very very happy! Highly recommended!
I am very grateful to SUS for affirming this key of mine. I am sorry that I have hardly had time to read the posts in the forum recently, because I am busy with the upgrade of the key. Now the new design has been completed, and some samples have been made. Soon, I will post the photos of the new keys to the forum and give some of them to the forum as gifts. Considering that the mailing cost in Canada is also very high, I decided to mail them directly to my friends in the forum. The quotation of the postal company includes tax, but I am not sure if there are any other charges in Canada. Therefore, I only charge 35.00CAD.

The number of gifting friends is 8, and SUS would like to be the person who decides the distribution of gifts. If SUS agrees, please provide the size data of the square head as well as the mailing address and telephone number. Send it to Daddy SUS, and I'll receive 8 lists, addresses, phone numbers, and desired models from Daddy. I will send it within 10 days after receiving the information and shipping cost. (For the record: The gift is made by me, the material is 42CRMO, the heat treatment is also done by me, I am not sure how anti-corrosion performance. So accepting a gift can be a little risky. Also, I won't be sending pictures, so you can be a little blind box.) I will post about metal corrosion protection later, I need to learn more advanced ways to protect surfaces.

If you need to purchase, you can contact JOHN 10 days later, he will charge me the mailing address information.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It sounds like @a smile is pretty excited about some upcoming changes to his chuck key.

But I think there are some translation errors in what he says above. LOL!

I am happy to evaluate further modifications to the tool myself, but I am too old and too scatter brained to be involved in coordinating a more extensive evaluation by others.

Translation errors also work both ways. Unless I am misreading what Smile wants, it sounds like he is looking for a number of volunteers who are interested in evaluating his next generation tool.

If it is anything like the first one, it should be really cool!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I am very grateful to SUS for affirming this key of mine. I am sorry that I have hardly had time to read the posts in the forum recently, because I am busy with the upgrade of the key. Now the new design has been completed, and some samples have been made. Soon, I will post the photos of the new keys to the forum and give some of them to the forum as gifts. Considering that the mailing cost in Canada is also very high, I decided to mail them directly to my friends in the forum. The quotation of the postal company includes tax, but I am not sure if there are any other charges in Canada. Therefore, I only charge 35.00CAD.

The number of gifting friends is 8, and SUS would like to be the person who decides the distribution of gifts. If SUS agrees, please provide the size data of the square head as well as the mailing address and telephone number. Send it to Daddy SUS, and I'll receive 8 lists, addresses, phone numbers, and desired models from Daddy. I will send it within 10 days after receiving the information and shipping cost. (For the record: The gift is made by me, the material is 42CRMO, the heat treatment is also done by me, I am not sure how anti-corrosion performance. So accepting a gift can be a little risky. Also, I won't be sending pictures, so you can be a little blind box.) I will post about metal corrosion protection later, I need to learn more advanced ways to protect surfaces.

If you need to purchase, you can contact JOHN 10 days later, he will charge me the mailing address information.
I've asked Sun to clarify what he means.

slow-poke

Ultra Member
I missed this chuck key upgrade thread until just know. No idea on status of the eight evaluators, but I'm certainly interested if you need another one (my key is 9.75mm square). I can see this would be faster/better. If I squeak in, let me know where to send the money.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I missed this chuck key upgrade thread until just know. No idea on status of the eight evaluators, but I'm certainly interested if you need another one (my key is 9.75mm square). I can see this would be faster/better. If I squeak in, let me know where to send the money.
Same here

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
To keep everything organized and coordinated, @Janger will be handling the volunteer group. Feel free to volunteer here or to send him a PM.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
I would also be very interested in these new keys (10mm) - please let me know how and where to send the $$ !

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I would also be very interested in these new keys (10mm) - please let me know how and where to send the $$ !

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Done!

My hunny said I could buy myself a prezzie!
:)

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Sun has a new heat treatment process he is trying for corrosion resistance and hardness. It looks like the below. The blue black ones. With brass shoulder and nut. Pretty cool I thought. :cool:Thoughts?

Attachments

• QQ图片20231214212431.jpeg
    QQ图片20231214212431.jpeg
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

a smile

Premium Member
我已经与 @Janger@CWret 交换了一些 PM,感觉我把其他人都排除在外了它的。

不久前,我得到了一把 @a smile 的 11 毫米卡盘扳手。我在另一篇文章中提到了飞行保持器和弹簧。我已经使用了一段时间了,认为是时候进行更新了。

最重要的是,它现在放在我的车床上,标准扳手已移至储物抽屉中,因为我不再使用它。关于这个工具,我大概没什么可说的了,只是为了表明我有多喜欢它。

是的,一切都可以改进。但对我来说,严峻的考验是我实际使用它的程度。答案是我经常使用它。这是一款物有所值的优质工具。其他人已经描述了它的功能,这里不再重复。

我非常喜欢这个工具,所以我为我的大卡盘买了一个 12mm,为我的 5C 弹簧夹头买了一个 3/8-10mm。 12 号就像 11 号一样。除了赞美和在我的车床上占有一席之地之外什么也没有。

3/8-10 则是另一回事了。我曾希望它适合 3/8 驱动器,但那没有发生。没什么大不了的,我只是决定使用我的 Gerardi 虎钳中的 5C 分度器来铣削它。事实证明这并不那么容易。这个工具是由比我想象的更硬的不锈钢制成的。需要使用进给速度非常慢的硬质合金立铣刀才能将其切割成一定尺寸。即便如此,这些切屑最终还是主要是磁性尘埃。尽管如此,我最终还是成功了,而且这个工具在我的卡盘上运行得非常好。另一个 T 型扳手击中了储物抽屉。最棒的是,我用来旋转夹头的 12V 驱动器可以存放在骑行过程中。非常快而且非常好!

View attachment 41553

然后我开始查看将我的复合物固定在十字滑道上的两个螺母。我想,现在为什么我不能在这些螺母上也使用 3/8 螺丝刀和套筒呢?我在我的芯片托盘中保留了一个大的 T 形驱动器和 3/8 驱动器插座来完成这项工作。

问题在于卡盘扳手没有弹簧和制动球系统来固定套筒。当我遇到这个问题时,我正在思考这个问题。谁在乎?只需将套筒留在螺母上,然后在另一侧安装另一个套筒即可!所以就是这样。我有一堆旧插座,是我岳父去世前从他那里得到的。他们可以永远呆在这两个坚果上。如果我担心丢失它们,我会把它们永久地用环氧树脂粘在螺母上!

View attachment 41554

底线......,又一个 T 型扳手击中了储物抽屉......三个非常好的扳手,可以取代 4 个旧式扳手,还有一个 12V 螺丝刀!不错!一点也不差!

很高兴!强烈推荐!
If the postage in Canada is about 20CAD or even more, I think I can provide direct delivery and I can provide modifications to the size you need. Because I just learned that the cost of China-Canada mailing is about 30-35CAD. I will know the actual shipping cost after a short time when I actually test it.

a smile

Premium Member
现在我很嫉妒。我可能得把我的拆开,做一些雕刻和上蓝处理。
建议你不要做这个尝试,我不确定S136是否会上色,而且我也不确定S136会在淬火后有一些硬度,所以,很有可能是破坏性的实验。如果你是M10的钥匙,它的材质是410,我更加不确定它的热处理会如何。所以请谨慎。

I suggest you not try this. I'm not sure whether S136 will be colored, and I'm not sure that S136 will have some hardness after quenching, so it is likely to be a destructive experiment. If you are the key to the M10, its material is 410, and I'm not sure what its heat treatment will be. So please be careful.

Last edited by a moderator: