• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

My Neighbour's Knife

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I've got a great neighbour—super smart mechanical guy I'm really lucky to know. What I found out recently was that he makes knives as well. But it takes him a long, long time because he does everything by hand. The blades are reclaimed industrial saw blades. He hand files everything. Gotta love creative people like this, and I totally get the labour of love aspect. He made the case as well.

Hard to tell from the pic, but the handle is contoured (thicker in the center). He did this by hand with just files. So nice.

1624737116831.png

1624737143485.png

1624737169503.png

1624737190926.png

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes very nice especially considering it was all done manually. There is a skill and finesse involved in shaping metal by hand/files.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just cant resist the Crocodile Dundee meme LoL.
Now did you get the impression he is regrinding finish hardened saw blade stock to the final shape? (Versus annealing to soft, profiling & then re-hardening).

1624740990418.png

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Just cant resist the Crocodile Dundee meme LoL.
Now did you get the impression he is regrinding finish hardened saw blade stock to the final shape? (Versus annealing to soft, profiling & then re-hardening).

View attachment 15755
Regrinding mate. His garage isn't set up for any kind of hot work—it's as cramped as mine but most of it is flammable.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
He must let the grinding process get the metal hot enough to anneal it to a softer state, any industrial saw or planer blades I've tried to do anything with , a file wont even mark the steel ....however he does it, it's a fine looking knife for toad stabbing.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
He must let the grinding process get the metal hot enough to anneal it to a softer state, any industrial saw or planer blades I've tried to do anything with , a file wont even mark the steel ....however he does it, it's a fine looking knife for toad stabbing.
My apologies that I don't know more; not being familiar with forging or knife making I just stood there and gawked instead of asking about the process. The guard is copper, and the brass on the handles came from the slides on commercial garbage trucks. The white is actually the plastic kick plate/puck board on hockey rinks.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
He's got pretty fast hands to get the metal to that temperature if he's actually doing everything by hand.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member

I suspect it might be the opposite because PT said he wasn't set of for heat treat. He is probably keeping the blade cool enough so as not to loose the hardness while grinding. Whether that's lots of water dips, or low removal rate... probably time consuming patience work. Not much different than when we sharpen knifes on a whetsone, just a whole lot more material removal.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
The OP specifically said "filing" and filing just aint gonna happen on an industrial hacksaw saw blade without some "softening" in the procedure, at least any that i have handled.

Yes wet stoning does remove material but Carborundum wet stoneing is a far different catskin than filing. If the knife maker stoned that knife out of a piece of sawblade he deserves a "double atta-boy" from me.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
What is an industrial saw blade and where do I get one?
The one he showed me looked a little like a hand mitre saw blade, but it was thick—looked to be 1/8". No idea where he got it. I'll try to get him to join the forum, but he seems to be the busiest guy I know, so we will see.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The OP specifically said "filing" and filing just aint gonna happen on an industrial hacksaw saw blade without some "softening" in the procedure.

I think we are both reading between the lines. If a file was used, annealing would be required as you say. He also didn't mention anything about 'softening', you did. It's not a stretch to assume a common torch was handy to anneal. But then what, you have a soft blade, not a hard blade. Not really an effective cutting instrument but neither you or I know what the objective was. Maybe it's a knife-knife or maybe its more of a decorative knife. OP did confirm he has no HT facilities which tells me he was not re-hardening = my original question. In post #4 OP says 're-grinding'. So I interpret that to mean he is removing material with some form of abrasive & thus has the ability to preserve hardness, but that's just yet another guess. Words are funny that way. Moving on now....