• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

My Kozo Hiraoka Pensylvania switcher locomotive project.

B-Train, your post #20 pics didn't come through. Might be a max file size limit, but I'm not exactly sure.

No, I still get this for some reason. Clicking on image does not display either. Using Chrome. Everything else works including prior images. Seems like we had this issue once before. Not sure how it was resolved. Anyone else or just me?

Attachments

• SNAG-10-26-2019 0000.jpg
    SNAG-10-26-2019 0000.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 0
Here's some new ones, tell me if they display, will it aid if I reduce them ?

I had the material (not exactly the best one but...) to continue the locomotive, not for the tender, so...

Here the first parts of the locomotive, first the frame and axles boxes:

20161018_223555.jpg

20161102_144759.jpg

fullsizeoutput_7a9.jpeg20161102_192027.jpg20161107_164502.jpg

Last edited:
Cool! Really don’t know what happened with others and as I can see, one (YYChubbyMachinist) see them and another (you...) can’t. So we will see with others pics if it happened in futur to see why. Do you think I should repost the ones you missed ?

Re post-20 pics, no worries, I sent a note to admin. Leave as-is for now so might help debug. Seems off that others can see but not me, usually at least that is consistent.

Ok, I'll wait for more info. Let me know if I should continue for next ones with same size to help tracking down. I can reduce them if if it is a better practice, but it seem that some others can view them. Let me know, and thanks for your following!

No, I still get this for some reason. Clicking on image does not display either. Using Chrome. Everything else works including prior images. Seems like we had this issue once before. Not sure how it was resolved. Anyone else or just me?

hmm. works ok here. Try a different browser Peter. reboot, empty caches in browser.

Ok, I try with some more, let me know...

The story of the process is more curious here. For the locomotives wheels, in his book, Mr. Hiraoka suggest to make a pattern and a mold to obtain a casting. It was difficult for me to find a foundry, not to mention difficulties to make wood pattern... So I decided to make them directly from bar stock on my CNC. My next problem was to find a shaft of 3 1/2" diameter and that was more difficult than we can imagine... So I cut my pieces from a hot roll plate (!!!) and machine them. Here's the main steps of the process. Results are not perfect, not sure about the hardness and I don't suggest this way to anyone, too too much work !!! ;)

20170130_172002.jpg

20170131_090949.jpg

20170201_150422.jpg

20170205_191006.jpg

20170228_194320.jpg

20170228_234905.jpg

20170502_232056.jpg

fullsizeoutput_7ab.jpeg

20180604_150346_001.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

You did really well with the wheels.
I agree, small foundries seem to be a thing of the past. I see some homeshop guys doing neat work, but that is a whole other level of the hobby.

If you do run into a situation where you need cast iron for its properties, Speedy sells class-40 red by the inch in various diameters. The prices aren't too bad, but they were the expensive UPS shippers I was mentioning. I bought a stick for my cylinder liners a while back but I used a border drop shipper.
http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-4286-8388-3-rd-gray-cast-iron-class-40.aspx

OLM just recently started to carry Durabar, a special grade of CI. I was real happy to hear about that. I'll use what I have for the liners but this alloy is supposed to be very good, particularly for piston rings too.
https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/cast-iron

I found Durabar in Canada but it was the typical 12-footer industrial supplier.

My biggest concern about buying from US was more my doubt about the results of my machining. I wasn't sure how it would be accurate at the first time. At evidence cast iron would be a lot easier to machine, but the total shipping cost, plus une or two spare parts appeared at that moment a bit costly. But if I had to redo them, that's I would do!
The other option was to ordered the castings from "Friends Models Yankee shop" http://www.friendsmodels.com/productsforsale/kozowheelsdrivers.html. At that moment I had the same doubts about my capacity to make a good turning job at first time. I'm more confident now... That's what I will probably do for the cylinder, and possibly take the deal for the wheels at same time since cast iron is a much better material for wheels than steel...
I did not know anything about durabar, it's a very interesting product that I will consider! Mostly if OLM carry it (12 feets being a bit more than what I would need :))
Thanks a lot for your advices and interest!

Last edited:
The side rods are the step I am doing now. Autumn is not the best season for hobby for me, but I should get back to it in a short time...

20180612_164436.jpg

Here's the jig I used for quartering:

20180612_164604_001.jpg

Is there some interest on this forum, since it is more machining related than modelism, for that kind of project ? I can show only specific parts related to machining... (mostly all aluminum parts that you see, including wheels and calander). It' a complete RC truck, with all lights, sound and load/unloading trailer features.
If it is I will start it in another thread but will absolutly not be worry if it's not ;). Please be honest...

DSC_0008-16.JPG

DSC_0019-2.JPG

Is there some interest on this forum, since it is more machining related than modelism, for that kind of project ? I can show only specific parts related to machining... (mostly all aluminum parts that you see, including wheels and calander). It' a complete RC truck, with all lights, sound and load/unloading trailer features.
If it is I will start it in another thread but will absolutly not be worry if it's not ;). Please be honest...

View attachment 6334

View attachment 6335
I’d like to see more of this

Well, it seems that my truck don't generate a lot of interest :),
so I think the best thing to do is to give you a link to my photobucket library about it. But there's a lot of pics, so... and take the time to put them in order, since it is the complete project there, form the starting point, and photobucket doesn't put them in time order by default.
https://beta.photobucket.com/u/B-TrainHauler/a/d669e0fd-e416-4e22-af3d-314e501f88ac
Here's a vid, but the project not finished yet...
Will give some news of my loco project soon!

Back