• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

My first projects on the mill and lathe

Brian H

Super User
Here are what I feel are the first two projects completed on my lathe and mill. One is a QCTP that I made and the other is a small tap handle (thanks to a Mr Pete video).

For the last couple of months since I got the lathe I was adjusting and fixing all the things I could to make it a better machine. For any one that asks, I tell them that when you buy a chinese lathe/mill you are basically purchasing a set of castings, atleast that has been my experience to date. I have had alot of fun making it all flatter, straighter and more rigid to improve the machine. There is still some things to address, but for now I can feel comfortable starting a project.

I was very happy with how the tool post turned out and the tap handle has a couple imperfections but function very well.

Attachments

• QCTP.jpg
    QCTP.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
  • tap handle.jpg
    tap handle.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Well done! A tap handle is on my to do list as well. Your's is way more eloquent than what I would attempt.

How did you turn the double taper on the tap handle?

Last edited:

Brian H

Super User
Well done! A tap handle is on my to do list as well. Your's is way more eloquent than what I would attempt.

How did you turn the double taper on the tap handle?

I'm not sure how to link the video here, but, Mr. Pete has a 3 part video that I followed to make this one. It was actually pretty easy to turn. The milling and hand filing had a few challenges

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Is the tool holder made from Cast Iron? Where did you source it?

Dove tails and knurling are my next endeavour amongst many.

Brian H

Super User
Is the tool holder made from Cast Iron? Where did you source it?

Dove tails and knurling are my next endeavour amongst many.

Yes its cast iron, Tom sold me a piece he had. I haven't been able to source anything bigger than 1" aluminum in Saskatoon and virtually nothing steel. (other than scrap bits friends have gotten me).

I found the dove tails to be surprisingly easy. It was quite a spiders web of dial guages tho, a DRO would have been WAAAY easier...lol. Maybe one day...

I really enjoyed machining the cast. Nice stuff to work with, minus the dust. I had a ton of cleaning to do along the way