• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

My 12 x 36 Lathe is for Sale

JohnW

(John)
I've been working on rebuilding a lathe for the last couple of years, and I have finally finished it. I've posted a lot of my progress on a thread here, but I need to update it with some of the latest progress.

It is now time to find a good home for my old machine.

It is about 10 years old (I got it new). Force is the house brand of import lathes that House of Tools carried. I am only selling the lathe and the accessories listed below. The tool box that the lathe is currently sitting on is not included, although the metal drip pan is.
  • Size: 12 x 36. There is also a removable drop bed that allows a 17” swing near the chuck.
  • Motor: 2HP 240V 9A Single Phase. It cannot run on 120V.
  • 9 spindle speeds selectable via gear change levers (no gear changes). Two speed ranges selected by changing the motor drive belt to different pulleys (see control panel photo below)
  • 6” 3-jaw chuck – shown mounted on the lathe with its regular jaws mounted. Includes 3 “inside” jaws as well.
  • Spindle shaft is approximately 1.5” inside diameter.
  • The spindle uses a DI-4 cam-lock system for quick changes.
  • MT3 tail stock. Spindle also has a MT5 taper for machining between centers.
  • Drill chuck (5/8” max) mounted on MT3 arbor included.
  • 8” 4-jaw independent chuck (not shown) included.
  • 10” spindle face-plate (not shown) included.
  • BXA quick change tool post with two tool holders (not shown) included.
  • Chuck key and 17/14mm adjustment wrench included.
  • Full set of change gears (5) to allow the full range of thread pitches shown on the front panel below to be cut.
    • Metric – 29 pitches - 0.4 to 7mm
    • Imperial – 40 pitches – 4 to 60 TPI
    • Some other threads are also possible. I have created a spreadsheet that shows all of the possibilities.
    • The lead screw is imperial, so the thread gauge can only be used with imperial threads.
  • Change gears do not normally need to be adjusted. For most lathe operations, only the gear change levers are required.
  • Feed rated (via the feed shaft) from 0.012” per rev to 0.0006” per rev via the lower gear levers.
  • Original manual on both paper and as a PDF is included.
  • I take good care of my tools, so everything is in very good condition. Unlike the back where there is some surface rust where the paint flaked off, I’m careful to keep unused stuff covered in oil to protect it.
So, what will it take to make this yours????? I’m asking $2,900.

Busy Bee has a very similar lathe available (CX707) - https://www.busybeetools.com/products/lathe-12in-x-36in-2hp-gear-head-craftex-cx-cx707.html

Contact me via PM or phone (four-zero-three - nine-nine-zero – four-zero-nine-six) if you are interested in more information or want to have a look at it. If you don’t have access to a truck or trailer, I could probably be convinced to deliver it within the city (Calgary), but you need to find some strong friends to take it out of my trailer and put it somewhere). I think it weighs about 600lbs, but about 150lbs (chuck, tailstock, etc.) can be easily removed.

Attachments

• Force GL-300CX914 - Control Panel.jpg
    Force GL-300CX914 - Control Panel.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 88
  • Force GL-300CX914.jpg
    Force GL-300CX914.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I went to view it today. It seems very well kept, ways are in great shape. I'm looking for a little bigger lathe, but it would be great for someone who wants this sized lathe!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I've been working on rebuilding a lathe for the last couple of years, and I have finally finished it. I've posted a lot of my progress on a thread here, but I need to update it with some of the latest progress.

It is now time to find a good home for my old machine.

Apparently I miss something here on joining this list was you could not sell or barter items. I stand to be corrected on same.

Bill

JohnW

(John)
I thought it was OK in the classified section for personal transactions i.e. buying / selling / trading hobby items, not running a regular ongoing business. Am I wrong?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Thanks to the list

As mentioned "I stand to be corrected on same" must be another one of those senior moments.

Aging's not for sissies!

Bill

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I thought it was OK in the classified section for personal transactions i.e. buying / selling / trading hobby items, not running a regular ongoing business. Am I wrong?
Oh absolutely that’s what it’s for. No problem.

JohnW

(John)
I've had a few people ask if the lathe is still for sale, so here is an update:

I sold it over the winter to a good home.