Tips/Techniques MT to R8 adapter?

Tips/Techniques

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've been looking to see if I can find a morse taper to R8 adapter? I have a set of R8 collets I would like to use in my lathe also.

Haven't been able to find any such thing. Does it exist, or will it have to be shop made?

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
When I had my MT3 equipped mill I looked for the same thing.
I never found one and I think it's because the diameters don't work together.
Large end of an MT3 taper is 23.825mm whereas the shank of an R8 is 24.105mm so basically an R8 collet is physically larger than an MT3 taper.

But if you're looking to get rid of a set of R8 collets you can put them beside my calipers :)

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When I had my MT3 equipped mill I looked for the same thing.
I never found one and I think it's because the diameters don't work together.
Large end of an MT3 taper is 23.825mm whereas the shank of an R8 is 24.105mm so basically an R8 collet is physically larger than an MT3 taper.

But if you're looking to get rid of a set of R8 collets you can put them beside my calipers :)
Nice try. :p

My new lathe has a MT5. I n the spindle, so there would be room.

I also have a MT5 to MT4 adapter. I have a MT4 ER40 adapter, and I realized the size I really need is 1" so I can turn parts, like the cylinder heads for the steam engines I'm working on. Nice to Crazy Glue parts and be able to take them in and out of the lathe and get them back in with a fair degree of accuracy.

Might have to look for a chunk of 2" stock. and see what I can come up with.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I think you are going to have to make your own adapter. Lathe project #1?

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I've been looking to see if I can find a morse taper to R8 adapter? I have a set of R8 collets I would like to use in my lathe also.

Haven't been able to find any such thing. Does it exist, or will it have to be shop made?

I never seen an MT taking in R8 collet. Remember that R8 needs a draw bar. Also I think without stick out you would need MT4 or bigger.

R8 are long collets, for tool holding - why don't you get simply MT to ER32 or MT to ER40 + collet set?

Or 5C collets + a collet chuck.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have an mt3 to Er32 collet holder and an R8 to ER32 Collet holder and R8 to ER20 holder. They all work rather well. Even if I cod find an MT3 to R8 adapter, I prolly wouldn't use it.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I j just have a nice selection of R8 collets I would like to use. I have the ER40 holder (MT4). and I'm planning to add collets for it as needed.

Just would have been nice to not have to buy ER40 in the R8 sizes that I already have.

And @David_R8: It would be in the list at about #127. But would be a fun challenge!

Now back to wiring the shop for the new toys.

terry_g

Ultra Member
Tom would something like this work?

After I ground the jaws in my 3 jaw chuck I can remove and replace the collet holder and be within .001"

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You can prolly make a nice adapter to fit your MT5 that would accept R8 with a drawbar. Just skip the MT4/3 part completely. Just be aware that R8 isn't really designed to hold stock.

I never seen an MT taking in R8 collet. Remember that R8 needs a draw bar. Also I think without stick out you would need MT4 or bigger.

R8 are long collets, for tool holding - why don't you get simply MT to ER32 or MT to ER40 + collet set?

Or 5C collets + a collet chuck.
This.

Or consider a 5C collet chuck and follow the mad hatter down the rabbit hole.

mbond

Premium Member
Because you have such a large size (MT5) you can probably make something that works on your exact machine, but MT to R8 generally doesn't work. MT have long shallow tapers that may or may not have draw bars. R8 has a short and steep taper and must use a draw bar.

When R8 is on the outside, it just uses a normal draw bar and the MT friction fits inside.

If MT is on the outside, there is no way to get a draw bar into the R8. If the MT has its own draw bar, there is no space. And if the MT is friction only, then the 'stub' where the wedge hits it is in the way.

You can probably make a custom part, but I doubt you will find anything off the shelf.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Couldn't a person make an MT5 taper that's open at the outboard end and use the drawbar for the R8 collet to snug the whole thing up?
The MT5-MT3 taper adapter for my lathe (basically the same as Tom's) is open at the outboard end.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Why couldn't a person make an MT5 taper that's open at the outboard end and use the drawbar for the R8 collet to snug the whole thing up?
The MT5-MT3 taper adapter for my lathe (basically the same as Tom's) is open at the outboard end.

I think that's doable. Just prolly not available. And also prolly not the best way to go.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Because you have such a large size (MT5) you can probably make something that works on your exact machine, but MT to R8 generally doesn't work. MT have long shallow tapers that may or may not have draw bars. R8 has a short and steep taper and must use a draw bar.

When R8 is on the outside, it just uses a normal draw bar and the MT friction fits inside.

If MT is on the outside, there is no way to get a draw bar into the R8. If the MT has its own draw bar, there is no space. And if the MT is friction only, then the 'stub' where the wedge hits it is in the way.

You can probably make a custom part, but I doubt you will find anything off the shelf.
Yeah, I'm. thinking there's northing like I am looking for. Thankfully, since the spindle is MT5, and there is room clear though to the back, when I get a chance I'll see that I can come up with. When I work with smaller stuff, it generally isn't that long. (I'll let. you know how it works in. a couple of years)

If I work with really small stuff, I could chuck this in the ER40 collet, or an R8 if I made the adapter:

IMG_0090.JPG
One of the many goodies that came with the lathe and milling machine. (I printed the plastic box. Better than the bag they were in when I got them) Outer barrel is 0.750" and the collet faces are 0.50". 1.156" long.

Anyone know what they are called? The gentleman thought he made them. How could you not know?? Mind you, sounds like he did LOTS of cool things over his lifetime.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks like you have some chips to make and an adapter to make. Love the video, old school lantern tool holder in use.