• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Moving the head on a round column mill.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I've never used a round column mill but I have read many posts on various forums about the limitations of round column for varying tool lengths. This link offers some hack to deal with this problem that I found interesting.

trevj

Ultra Member
In my experience using an RF-30 style mill, it's a lot of talk that mostly diverts away from getting on with using the mill.

Given that somewhere north of 95 percent of the usual use for one, is cutting to a scribed line, by eyeball, a few simple tricks and some skills development using them, will solve about any of the supposed problems.

Stuff like using a center finder or edge finder, to pick up the edge or a center punch mark. Using a 'sticky pin', nothing fancier than a short pin, stuck on the end of a drill bit with plasticine, and trued up as it spins, to align the center of the drill with the center punch mark as needed.

If you had a mill wired up with a DRO on 3 axiis, I could see the issue, but most people don't and won't put a DRO on one of these like you will with a mill with a decent amount of knee travel.