• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Moving Machinery

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Hey everyone. For anyone moving machinery in the 416, 905 and 519 I am more than happy to recommend United Rentals (Brantford) electric/hydraulic dolly. I used it to lift a 450lb Starrett Granite surface plate up the stairs at my old townhouse and down into the new basement shop at the new house. Too, a 1500 lb knee mill (in parts), was moved. I used a Standard fridge cart to move the Boyar Schultz surface grinder and base cabinet in 3 pieces and a Standard Modern 13” Utililathe and base cabinet in 4 pieces, but after using the cart, I should have rented sooner. The unit does all the work, you just keep it balanced. I was quoted $1500a piece, so $4500 and $750 for the granite plate for a rigging company to move everything. To rent a trailer and rent the cart was just under $150 “taxes in” and with the help of a buddy we managed in a day.

Just for all those out there reading about the challenges and perhaps shying away from picking up that little dream machine you’ve been eyeing, there is a really easy and cost effective solution out there.

Best of luck everybody, we’re all in this together, lol.

Cheers.

Derek

architect

Super User
Amazing workspace! I'm trying to setup something as well in the basement and garage so it's nice to see photos as reference/inspiration. Do you have any photos of the dolly you rented?