• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Motor hub?

BaitMaster

Super User
Literally just take an old Allen key, cut a relief on the shaft, sometimes I even cut a concave area in the face. Then drill a hole the diameter of the flats in your key in the bolt, then press the Allen key piece into the bolt head as far as it will go, remove, and voila. You have a passable Allen head bolt. Maybe not perfect dimensions, but if you go deep enough and use good enough steel it works like a charm. Not like “super high torque” rated or anything but for general purpose stuff I’ve never had issues.

Am I really the only one to do this?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Thanks for the info.
Not sure I've ever really needed an allen head bolt that bad, but good to know nonetheless.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Am I really the only one to do this?

You might be. I never have.

I've seen guys make a hss tool to cut the corners one at a time. But never using a hex key.

The trouble is that most socket screws are grade 8 or more. Grade 5 or less is usually just a regular hex head bolt.

I don't know how strong or how hard those keys are.

Good on you for trying something different. I have an old saying: Many an impossible thing has been done by someone who didn't know it was.

kstrauss

Yup. And then then there is also that blue thing in the background also missing in my shop Haha. I know guys where a press is like the #3 tool they buy, maybe because more machinery focused hobby, pressing bearings & gears on & off or whatever. Thus far I've dodged the bullet. I'm no expert but until less expensive offshore broaches & presses came along, broaching was kind of an expensive operation. But it does deliver clean, consistent results. I've seen all kinds of alternative shop made methods & accessories. Some are simple & just take more time, others are more sophisticated including powered. I figured for the odd model gear I'll have to do, or softer material hubs like this example, I could go that route when the time comes. Looks like that time is arriving on a few fronts. Many ways to skin the cat I suppose. But it would be desirable to keep the operation off the lathe & mill for repeated or especially heavier jobs.

View attachment 48813

This job is the perfect excuse to buy a CNC mill. See

RBB129

Brand New Member
I'm trying to match a hub to a motor shaft, ideally by using something that exists so I further machine it. Other than the 14mm shaft bore & 5mm keyway slot, the remaining dimensions are just approximate. Really the only thing I'm not set up for is the keyway slotting. Maybe I'm not using the right term. I see al kinds of couplings but nothing like this. Any ideas?

View attachment 48712
TB Woods or Martin sprocket will have a hub for you sized to fit your pulley and motor combination. Even though you indicated a 14mm shaft size that's not a common motor shaft. The motor frame size will determine the shaft size. A industrial supplier like BDI in Canada will carry these. Bushings for pullies typically start around $10.00.

Bruce

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for link. This style of motor is for sure 14mm shaft with x 5mm key in the model I'm looking at. AliExpress, not a domestic flavor. Half the battle is finding what exactly they they name them. Maedler has lots of metric shaft couplings (German outfit with USA dealer) but strangely not a regular, simple hub.

1718668854176.png 1718668960899.png

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Peter I have these couplings with 14mm bore that were off of a similar type of servo motor the other end is 10mm but could be bored out. If your interested its yours it will cost a someday shop tour, they are surplus to my needs.
I also have one with 15mm on one end and 17mm on the other, I will have a look tomorrow if I have any others.

IMG_5989.jpg IMG_5991.jpg
IMG_5992.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5990.jpg
    IMG_5990.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the offer. I have yet to order the motor because there are some other related doo-dads I'm waiting on info. I'll leave the hubs till last until I physically have the motor in my hands & measured it myself. I'm a long range planner LOL. Is your style like these keyless slit shaft mounts? Ican't help but think that would be fine or t least worth trying in my application. But as mentioned way up the thread there are keyed solutions on Amazon & I'm mounting a plate to the machined hub anyways.

1718681209421.png

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Peter,
Martin Sprocket also has RFQ page.
See the website for more info.
Made-to-Order Gears

Made-To-Order Sprockets​

Please click below to fill out a data sheet to request a quote for Made-to-Order Sprockets.

weldscap

Weld Scap
Look for "bored-to-size hubs" or "machinable shaft hubs" with a 14mm bore and 5mm keyway. These are often available in various sizes and materials, and you can further machine them as needed. If you can't find one with the exact keyway slot, consider using a broach to create the slot yourself.
I'm trying to match a hub to a motor shaft, ideally by using something that exists so I further machine it. Other than the 14mm shaft bore & 5mm keyway slot, the remaining dimensions are just approximate. Really the only thing I'm not set up for is the keyway slotting. Maybe I'm not using the right term. I see al kinds of couplings but nothing like this. Any ideas?