• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Morse taper drill bits

Tool
@KeeponDragon I have a P&N (Australia) drill amongst my odds and sods.

@140mower How many Morse taper sizes do you have? I was looking on the KBC Tools site and their MT1 drills go up to 35/64". MT2 go up to 29/32" while MT3 top out at 1-1/2". Since my little lathe has an MT2 in the tailstock, I can't make use of anything larger.

BTW, I see that the MT specs go from MT0 to MT7:

Craig
I have been pretty busy since I brought them home and I haven't really gone through them. They are all metric and mostly mt1 & mt2. I have 2 lathes and a shaper spread across the shop floor right now, so I don't dare bring out any more stuff for a while. :rolleyes:

trlvn

Ultra Member
No Morse taper bits for me. The site hosting the auction, hibid.com, was unreachable for about 1/2 hour while the lots I was interested in were closing. (Arghh!) This is the same web company that was knocked off line 2 years ago during a ransomware attach:

What a pain in the @ss. The auctioneer (Bartlett in Jarvis, ON) was useless, too. I emailed him immediately when the site began reporting network errors. He didn't respond until after the auction was over and basically shrugged his shoulders. It happened that there was another auction closing at the exact same time. That auctioneer paused the auction until the problem was under control. Then that auction resumed with the same about of time remaining as before the pause. Bartlett was apparently too clueless to do the same.

This really makes me rethink using online auctions on Hibid. I've always been concerned that there is little way to know other bidders are real or not. If I enter a "Max" bid sometime before the auction close, how do I know that the auctioneer isn't using that to have phantom bidders run the price up basically to my max?

<Grumble>

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This really makes me rethink using online auctions on Hibid. I've always been concerned that there is little way to know other bidders are real or not. If I enter a "Max" bid sometime before the auction close, how do I know that the auctioneer isn't using that to have phantom bidders run the price up basically to my max?

I never use the max bid feature. I bid live just like a real auction. That way they never know when I will quit until I do.

trlvn

Ultra Member
I never use the max bid feature. I bid live just like a real auction. That way they never know when I will quit until I do.
I tend to agree but sometimes there are multiple lots all closing within minutes of each other. And the order of closing can get quite confusing as lots get auto-extended due to bids in the last 3 minutes. I've had it where a lot I was interested in closed before it made it into the visible part of the screen so I missed bidding on it.

BTW, Hibid normally sends an email when you've been outbid. ALL such emails from last night's auction arrived...this morning! Fat lot of use that was.

Craig

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I tend to agree but sometimes there are multiple lots all closing within minutes of each other. And the order of closing can get quite confusing as lots get auto-extended due to bids in the last 3 minutes. I've had it where a lot I was interested in closed before it made it into the visible part of the screen so I missed bidding on it.

Yes, I've had that problem too. In those cases, I have put a max bid in too, but usually I just prioritize what I want and let the others go.

Imagine doing all that on a snail connection.

Frankly, I hate online auctions, but they are here to stay.

BTW, Hibid normally sends an email when you've been outbid. ALL such emails from last night's auction arrived...this morning! Fat lot of use that was.

Craig

I get that BS too. I feel your pain. That's another reason I try to bid live. You can see right away when you have been outbid.