More about Bambu Labs X1 or X1 Carbon (jailbreak updates and X1-Plus)

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've been following this closely since the day it emerged:

A development team announced they had jailbroken the Bambu Labs X1 series printers. Why is that important?

The X1-plus software. It is more than converting these printers to open source. This software is an overlay, leaving the original software intact and runnable. This new software gives greater access to detailed printer functions and adds features not available in the original software.

The fork of Orca Slicer ( a community version of the Bambu slicer) has already resulted in bug fixes and extra features in the newest release of Bambu slicer. This is certainly very good.

In a similar way, this add-on may result in enhanced X1 series official software. The X1-Plus team is in direct contact with Bambu. Indications are that there is a chance of mutual cooperation in the future.

For me, it gives me hope to dodge the 'walled garden' nature of the Bambu software. I love that this exists, because of the overall benefit of all this free development - it has to result in benefits down the line.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
[update] Here is Bambu labs official response to the situation, and I find it mildly encouraging...

Perry

Ultra Member
I like the article at the bottom right at the end of the link you posted.

"Bambu Lab x E3D: Our First Step to Embrace the Aftermarket"​

Looks like the walls to the garden are a little bit lower. :)