Modern Mill, Edmonton, $400

At this point affordability trumps size.
.... Step right up my friend..... This fits both bills, and, a handy dandy valentines week road trip with the little misses, to see some new country side and make new friends along the way......

No, you aren't getting off that easy.... Besides, I think you need to mill a keyway to fit the new pulley I sold you.... Wink wink. ;)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I would have gotten this if this was closer to Calgary - like say within day distance of driving - say 200km one way. Certainly would have gotten it if it was in Calgary - even through I already have a horizontal mill.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
.... Step right up my friend..... This fits both bills, and, a handy dandy valentines week road trip with the little misses, to see some new country side and make new friends along the way......

No, you aren't getting off that easy.... Besides, I think you need to mill a keyway to fit the new pulley I sold you.... Wink wink. ;)
Where's that damn blowing-a-raspberry emoticon when you need it? :p Close enough...

If this had been Calgary or even Dead Beer, I'd have been there salivating over it already. With the littluns playing all kinds of sports, I came to despise the Edmonton trips.

'Sides, I installed said pulley yesterday, along w/ a few other mods (story upcoming) and, while I haven't yet put tool to metal, it seems to spin quite nicely on the old keyway. :)

And, LOL, the missus accompanying me on a mere tool-finding trip? To Edmonton & back? I'd be talking to myself (not unheard of at the best of times) while she perused her latest trash novel on her iPad.

Where's that damn blowing-a-raspberry emoticon when you need it? :p Close enough...

If this had been Calgary or even Dead Beer, I'd have been there salivating over it already. With the littluns playing all kinds of sports, I came to despise the Edmonton trips.

'Sides, I installed said pulley yesterday, along w/ a few other mods (story upcoming) and, while I haven't yet put tool to metal, it seems to spin quite nicely on the old keyway. :)

And, LOL, the missus accompanying me on a mere tool-finding trip? To Edmonton & back? I'd be talking to myself (not unheard of at the best of times) while she perused her latest trash novel on her iPad.
Pffft.....excuses....:p

Jesus...... And the rest of us are left to dream, and yet he still complains.....:rolleyes:

.... Sorry bud, but it's a tough crowd today.....:p

JustaDB

Ultra Member
Is nothing sacred? You guys would bring liquor to an AA meeting... :D

Honestly, the thought of taking on a project of this size scares the hell out of me, as intriguing as it may be. That, and I'm not sure I want to dedicate the kind of floor space this thing will eat up.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Against my better judgement I went and looked at this machine today. Someone else has first right of refusal on it but I told the owner I'll take it if the other guy doesn't. This mill is major cool but it's a beast. Weight is about 5500 lbs according to Darcy, the owner. He says it has been in a corner on a pallet for about 30 years in their shop (Frontier Valve in Edmonton) There appears to be 1 major piece missing though. There must be must be some sort of stub shaft needed between the horizontal cat 50 spindle and the inside of the vertical head and it is nowhere to be found. Since I can't find any info on this thing I have no idea what it would look like. It meshes with the gear you can see at the tip of the arrow in this pic.

More pics I took today.

Good luck.... I am sure with a little bit of digging you should be able to come up with the spec's to make one. I have to do the same to adapt my k&t horizontal to the van norman vertical head that came with it.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think I have something at least similar to what you are looking for.

It is a NMTB 50 to a gear connector - not sure if its even 50 or 40 but it is the same idea.

I was actually going to ask whatever my parents wanted to go to Edmonton with me for rather long and hard day of driving, loading and than unloading. 5500 lbs is a bit ... big for hobby grade - 2.5T exceeds most of my "safe" lifting capacity by 0.5T.

JustaDB

Ultra Member
I exhausted my search engine fu trying to find more info on this beast. That said, I found photos of a Hitachi Seiki 2MP that looked very similar to this Modern. I don't know if there's any connection, but here are a couple links I found to the Hitachi. Maybe the photos will help somehow, and there's contact info on the eBay link.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There appears to be 1 major piece missing though. There must be must be some sort of stub shaft needed between the horizontal cat 50 spindle and the inside of the vertical head and it is nowhere to be found.

Here is a link to an EBay add for an illusive vertical head drive gear for a K&T 2H mill. In the description he describes how one machines the gear to fit a standard 50 taper holder. You could do the same thing once you determine the DP & # teeth required for the missing gear (and after you make said gear - or have it made).

Here is a video of Keith Rucker with his drive gear on the K&T

So yes, not impossible to make it all work - just a lot of unknowns right now that would require quite the bit of reverse engineering.

I wonder if the Modern Mill is some sort of licence build from another manufacturer, perhaps out of the UK?

If you end up getting it, perhaps a collaborative project to help you out?