• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Modelling complex pieces

Golem Pens

Michael
So for funsies I want to model these pieces. The nib can probably be modelled flat and then curved (I think?) but the feed is obnoxious (though I really only need the shape, none of the features).

I did find STL files of each but converting those into STP or something else has not gone smoothly.

Just wondering if anyone has thoughts about method, best place to start, etc. I am using FreeCAD.
 

Attachments

  • The_Feed-Anatomy-Infographic-Sailor-1911.jpg
    The_Feed-Anatomy-Infographic-Sailor-1911.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 7
  • images(6).jpg
    images(6).jpg
    10 KB · Views: 7
  • images(5).jpg
    images(5).jpg
    12 KB · Views: 6
STL to STP conversion is fraught with issues. I think there are some online conversion programs
 
My $0.02...

In Fusion, I would loft the metal nib shape then wrap it on a cylinder. Then remove the cylinder and extrude the wrapped loft to give it thickness. Fillet the edges as needed.
The finned part looks like a stack of disks fitted onto a cylinder. Design one disk, replicate as a pattern. To get the profile correct, use a 2D sketch to draw the profile over the disk stack, then revolve that profile around the longitudinal axis as a CUT operation to remove the outer diameter.

IMHO fiddling with STL files is a futile exercise.
 
To get the profile correct, use a 2D sketch to draw the profile over the disk stack, then revolve that profile around the longitudinal axis as a CUT operation to remove the outer diameter.
I followed everything but that bit clearly! I'm sure it'll make sense as I go though
 
I don't have a ton of experience reverse egineering STL files (facet files) back into 'regular' CAD files. STLs are a bunch of adjoining facets so even a direct conversion to a CAD surface file would result in a facet (bumpy) solid vs a smoother, more acurate model made from within CAD. The way some guys use mesh files (similar I assume as 3D scan point clouds) is import them more or less as selective high res background reference. Then develop their own native surfaces within CAD model by picking specific facet verticies at their discretion (ie ignoring 99% of the remaining mesh). This way you end up quite close to the import surface dimensionally but develop your own 'good' surface more or less from base principles. When no mesh file is available, most allow you to import regular JPG images, ideally 3 ortho views. Position them on their appropriate planes, unify scale to target dimension & then you start developing your model using both pics as reference. There are many YouTube videos showing this with impressive results. It is a bit more advanced surface mdelling.

I took a crack at a rudimentary nib just to show some initial workflow to get you going. Real nibs can have some interesting & complex details depending on the type. Surface modelling is a skill unto itself. There are many pathways to get to the end result (highly dependant on the software), but some paths/techniques are better than others.

I made a top view of shape because that is a predominant feature. Connect the spline control points to center because these will serve double duty as planes. Mirror the profile to give me eyeball shape. If I had a good top view image it would underly this sketch for better reference
1791675277273.png 1791675655498.png

Made a series of cross sections at these planes. Here is where you can excercise control. The curve is a 2-point spline so I can shape it. The X-line segment is converted from reference sketch. The Y segment is whatever I make it. Also I specify the spline is perpendicular to Y-segment. Notice I only work on half the nib, because I intend to mirror. Then the sections are lofted & again you have control options. I use the top view spline as a control curve so the surface will be coincident to it. Then mirror the body about the center plane. Check surface quality with zebra stripes or other curvature tools
1791675717771.png1791676147781.png1791676191341.png

Then I used a shell command. Input wall thickness & removal planes & you get this.
This simple model has a flat bottom just to demo the workflow but when you look at most nibs they are more enclosed on the handle end so you need to reflect these details in the sections. Sometimes adding is easier than subtracting, all depends on the model & where you can best control
1791676259281.png1791676285495.png

make the slit feature.... and on & on
1791676794074.png1791676864171.png1791676892060.png
 
Last edited:
That's a very different method than I was thinking - but you've also made the shape more complex! I should really hammer one flat to get accurate measurements
 
Here's a quick screen recording in Fusion.
Good job on the CAD.
I never thought of sharing a movie (or any more size intensive file) in Google docs. I dont use it much, maybe I should. Do you just generate a link of the file or folder & paste it here on forum much as you would share with someone via email? Any special settings or thats basically it?
 
Last edited:
I never thought of sharing a movie (or any more size intensive file) in Google docs. I dont use it much, maybe I should. Do you just generate a link of the file or folder & paste it here on forum much as you would share with someone via email? Any special settings or thats basically it?

Oh my. What a great way to share! I think this needs to be in the "how to use the forum" section of the forum. Great content.

When you guys are done describing how you did this videocand posted it, I'll copy it over.

Looks to be WAAAAY Easier than you tube!
 
When you guys are done describing how you did this videocand posted it, I'll copy it over.
Looks to be WAAAAY Easier than you tube!
It would be good way to link a large file relevent to a post discussion, but I think the downside is when you inevitably clean up your cloud drive in the future (delete the file) it becomes a dead link on the forum. I should get my act togetther & just use YouTube for videos at least. I'm sure I already have a channel/account just havent used it.
 
It would be good way to link a large file relevent to a post discussion, but I think the downside is when you inevitably clean up your cloud drive in the future (delete the file) it becomes a dead link on the forum. I should get my act togetther & just use YouTube for videos at least. I'm sure I already have a channel/account just havent used it.

This danger exists for any and all methods. It's only just a matter of degree of risk. Youtube is not exactly low risk.
 
Okay we are getting somewhere! This is a nothing/practice shape, but I think this will work...
Followed
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-10-11 at 2.24.19 PM.png
    Screenshot 2026-10-11 at 2.24.19 PM.png
    254.8 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top