• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Mitutoyo tools at ITM dot COM

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you look in the link posted above of the Mitutoyo Canadian distributors list, amazon is one of them....what's so hard to understand about that? Amazon themselves are an authorized distributor, no different than ITM or KBC or anyone else. The difference is there are also third party sellers on Amazon and that's where the counterfeit stuff comes from when people say "don't buy on amazon". It's really not that complicated.

Its not hard to understand. Its just ambiguous. You haven't really explained anything beyond an opinion. I'll try again using your own criteria. Both Amazon & ITM are showing up on Mitutoyo authorized list of distributers. Along with KBC, Travers. Thomas Skinner & hundreds of others. So Amazon (the company) is not unique on that basis because they presumably source stock from Mitutoyo direct & sell. Are we agreeing these Mitutoyo dealerships would be reputable to buy Mitutoyo equipment? If answer is Yes, then ITM is no different than Amazon on that same basis. But ITM specifically happens to be the place we purchased the inferior Mitutoyo product. ITM also occasionally lists certain Mitutoyo items under Amazon the same way they list under their website, the same way Travers occasionally lists certain items on Amazon. Its just another exposure path as far as I can tell.

In other words, had you bought the same item using the 'ships by & sold by' criteria, chances are equally good IMO it would be the exact same POS item because they source from the same place as assumed ^^above^^. The fact that its not currently listed on dot ca doesn't mean much or prove anything IMO. There are thousands of Mitutoyo items Amazon doesn't carry. They pick & choose on their own basis of popularity or whatever. However, I provided an example where the item was being listed on the Amazon dot com site.

Attachments

• SNAG-2023-01-08 12.38.39 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-01-08 12.38.39 PM.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 4
  • SNAGIT.jpg
    SNAGIT.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Its getting so that the cloners can't keep track of which is supposed to be the desirable 'Made In' country. May I suggest a flow diagram wall poster?

1673209057083.png

Attachments

• SNAG-2023-01-08 1.25.47 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-01-08 1.25.47 PM.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 11

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Its not hard to understand. Its just ambiguous. You haven't really explained anything beyond an opinion. I'll try again using your own criteria. Both Amazon & ITM are showing up on Mitutoyo authorized list of distributers. Along with KBC, Travers. Thomas Skinner & hundreds of others. So Amazon (the company) is not unique on that basis because they presumably source stock from Mitutoyo direct & sell. Are we agreeing these Mitutoyo dealerships would be reputable to buy Mitutoyo equipment? If answer is Yes, then ITM is no different than Amazon on that same basis. But ITM specifically happens to be the place we purchased the inferior Mitutoyo product. ITM also occasionally lists certain Mitutoyo items under Amazon the same way they list under their website, the same way Travers occasionally lists certain items on Amazon. Its just another exposure path as far as I can tell.

In other words, had you bought the same item using the 'ships by & sold by' criteria, chances are equally good IMO it would be the exact same POS item because they source from the same place as assumed ^^above^^. The fact that its not currently listed on dot ca doesn't mean much or prove anything IMO. There are thousands of Mitutoyo items Amazon doesn't carry. They pick & choose on their own basis of popularity or whatever. However, I provided an example where the item was being listed on the Amazon dot com site.

That has not been the experience of many. Amazon is the wild west of scammers. Be forewarned.
If the seller/fulfiller is a legitimate authorized dealer & using Amazon storefront to blow down inventory or whatever, you stand half a chance. But most of the big names just run their purchases through their own websites, including discount sales.

You said in reply to me that amazon is the wild west of scammers, I said shipped and sold by amazon is ok because they are authorized dealers and therefore should be as good as any other authorized dealer.

What you're coming to now is that all Mitutoyo stuff sold online is a scam, even if the dealers are authorized? If that's the case, you might as well just give up buying anything online.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What you're coming to now is that all Mitutoyo stuff sold online is a scam, even if the dealers are authorized? If that's the case, you might as well just give up buying anything online.
Myself, I would not come to that conclusion entirely, but I definitely would be wary of paying a premium online price for a product without some assurance there is legitimate premium quality assurance to it. The name brand doesnt hold the clout it once did.
Yes it is looking like it is hard to know if you will get scammed or not until burnt. As long as there is a good return policy I am OK myself with taking the gamble.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
I said shipped and sold by amazon is ok because they are authorized dealers and therefore should be as good as any other authorized dealer

Perhaps, and I'm just saying perhaps......

The "Authorized Amazon Dealers" are given or have the ability to choose a product that "reasonably resembles" what shoppers are looking for when searching.

Perhaps... The " Authorized Amazon Dealers" do not need to provide shoppers with " Full Disclosure".

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Perhaps, and I'm just saying perhaps......

The "Authorized Amazon Dealers" are given or have the ability to choose a product that "reasonably resembles" what shoppers are looking for when searching.

Perhaps... The " Authorized Amazon Dealers" do not need to provide shoppers with " Full Disclosure".

What the heck is an "Authorized Amazon Dealer" ? I've been clear, shipped and sold by Amazon = good as any other online retailer of Mitutoyo. ANYONE ELSE other than sold by Amazon = who knows.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You said in reply to me that amazon is the wild west of scammers
Yes, it certainly can be. There are many example of fakes appearing under well known trade names which are sold on Amazon & elsewhere and are exactly that, fakes. I'm pretty sure some on this forum have had that experience, but Google will suffice if you are after more examples. What you have shown is a collection of keywords that helps to distinguish Amazon (the Mitutoyo dealer) from Amazon (the go-between medium from a different seller). And I am saying that different Seller could be A) also authorized Mitutoyo dealer such as ITM or Travers B) something else including a scammer.

I said shipped and sold by amazon is ok because they are authorized dealers and therefore should be as good as any other authorized dealer.
The flip side is the item can be equally 'bad' if that's what the manufacturer is is offering to dealers. Amazon & ITM would logically be drawing from the exact inventory. So I'm not sure I would feel any more 'ok' to buy a POS from Amazon or the exact same POS from ITM. The fact that Amazon is not currently listing the POS does not weigh into the discussion.

Really? I used the word 'all'? Where? Maybe go back & read again.

Every Mitutoyo item I own was purchased 'online' through dealers; KBC, Travers, T.Skinner.... others & including ITM. ITM once in the past a few years ago & more recently which kind of generated the subject matter of this post. I went out of my way to say this past order also included a perfectly fine looking mic which is consistent with other equipment & happens to reference Made in Japan. And I am of the opinion that Mitutoyo is farming out certain items. Of interest I just checked a Mitutoyo protractor, says made in USA. Checked 2 thread gauges & feeler gage set, all say made in Japan. And as I have said, I really don't care as long as the quality is there. That's what the post is about despite the Amazon detour

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
What the heck is an "Authorized Amazon Dealer" ? I've been clear, shipped and sold by Amazon = good as any other online retailer of Mitutoyo. ANYONE ELSE other than sold by Amazon = who knows.

I don't know... that why I said perhaps. This is all new to me as well.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Here's another example. I seriously doubt Mitutoyo ever made something like this protractor. It claims to be sold from amazon.com direct. I can't find it in the japanese Mit. web site or in the USA one. This is just as fishy.

https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-968-203-Protractor-Square-Head/dp/B01C00PM1E/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2YZ57PBZA7FTU&keywords=mitutoyo+tap+wrench&qid=1673208078&refinements=p_89%3AMitutoyo&rnid=2528832011&s=industrial&sprefix=mitutoyo+tap+%2Caps%2C147&sr=1-11
Mitutoyo draws a blank on that part number.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm leery of wading into this debate. But I just have to say this.....

The OP posted about these mitutoyo parallels that were mostly crap.

Several of us questioned their authenticity as genuine mitutoyo tools despite coming from ITM because they are not listed on the mitutoyo website or their catalog and because they are crap.

Most of us have assumed we could trust ITM to sell only genuine tools. But this purchase casts doubt on that assumption.

First we need to find out if it's a fake. I suggest a call to mitutoyo to ask if they make such a part. If yes, then they should be told their name has been tarnished by making crap. If not, then ITM can no longer be trusted and it might be worth a call to them to tell them that their name has been tarnished.

In my view the Amazon discussion is mostly a red herring. However, I do appreciate the difference between Amazon direct and other stores selling through Amazon. Till now, I trusted ITM more than Amazon direct, and Amazon direct more than Amazon stores.

In my mind, the most important question has not yet been answered. Are these parallels fake or genuine mitutoyo tools? But my Spidey senses are tingling.

Collectively, we ought to be able to sort this out to our mutual benefit for future purchases.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
In my mind, the most important question has not yet been answered. Are these parallels fake or genuine mitutoyo tools? But my Spidey senses are tingling.

Collectively, we ought to be able to sort this out to our mutual benefit for future purchases.

Maybe someone could create a section/post on the forum with a list of vendors to stay away from, once these issues are confirmed?

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
It was my first reply on the other thread. I'm very sick, or I'd have called right away. Surely anyone here could make the call?
Get well soon. I am finally going to get in gear today after 3 weeks. 2 with a cold, overlapping with 2 after the foot surgury.

Downwindtracker2

Dabber, get well wishes. Your help and encouragement has been appreciated .

I broke down and bought a Mitutoyo caliber, I got tired of changing batteries when I wanted to use a digital caliper. I bought them from KBC . At the counter, I was told to keep the sleeve for warranty.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, I had the same thought about contacting Mitutoyo Canada directly, but thought I'd give it a few days for my return item to be received by ITM & the (refund request) process initiated.
I did discuss the issue of the item 'not registering' with Mit Canada catalogs when I initially contacted ITM. The rep was not familiar with this aspect but committed to 'look into it' once my return was underway. Unless I missed it, I don't see a direct phone number but there is an email contact as below. I have the relevant ITM PN & invoice particulars so can initiate that in the interim.

1673291369117.png

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
All - I spoke to inside sales at Mitutoyo Canada just now.

Believe it or not, they still have my name on file from my previous life!

Part number 985-131 is a valid part number and it is a set of adjustable parallels listed at $188.13 in Canada. It is not in the current catalog and they have no stock right now. 20 pieces are expected to arrive in about two weeks.

However, they could not provide me with any technical information on the product and ended up transferring me to technical support. No one answered there so I left a voice mail with a phone number to call me back at.

The plot thickens and the saga continues.