• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Mitutoyo tools at ITM dot COM

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Resurrecting this thread on Mitutoyo tools from ITM.COM.

@PeterT is trying to return his Mitutoyo Adjustable Parallels.

@Janger is trying to return his MItutoyo Tap Wrenches. My wrenches don't actually hold taps tight enough to make threads - they just slip. There is no square jaw in these wrenches to hold the square end of the tap. Surprising.

Both widely missed the mark for basic functionality let alone what I would expect from Mitutoyo. Nothing on the box or tool indicating where they were made.

I'm busy sending photos to ITM as part of the return process. I think Peter is doing the same. We will see what happens. Disappointing Mitutoyo tools - I hope the returns work out. I'm sure we will post some more.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As @Janger mentions, I am presently in the process of returning for refund. After calling them directly to discuss the situation & walk me through the appropriate refund procedure, my item was shipped to ITM depot in Calgary earlier this week. I still cannot say if Mitutoyo themselves have farmed out certain items & the resultant quality of them is lacking, or if there is something else going on. The person I spoke to did not have that information but somewhat committed to look into it. They were also aware of this forum, possibly through @Janger. So while this is being resolved, I would like to ask for any posts to be respectful. Hopefully more information will arrive & the outcome will be positive. That was the gist of my original post - just to be aware that some Mitutoyo items might not be the expected quality level despite the tradename & price.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hard to say if that's the case at this point vs. they are actually sold under the Mitutoyo product line umbrella. I'm now starting to guess the latter but I don't have a lot to go on at this point. When I Google PN 985-131 it does come up under several other dealer/distributers. Many say Country of Origin is USA which seems even more far fetched but I don't know what that term even means anymore. A carton shows up to a central dealer before going to tooling distributers & end customers? FWIW my box label said Mitutoyo of North America. And to reiterate, the micrometer I purchased in same order seems perfectly fine (made in Japan).

985-131

similar review but I generally discount anything Amazon because they really are known for knockoffs

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I've ordered from ITM a couple times in the past, never any issues with what has shown up. Interesting to see this.
I've also bought Mitutoyo stuff on amazon...so long as it's shipped and sold by amazon themselves, your odds are pretty good.

Crankit

Mitutoyo doesn't manufacture anything in the USA anymore. Their rules and squares are made by PEC Tools and I would bet anything else labeled USA is outsourced. Brown and Sharpe does the same with many of their tools.
It's too bad but dollars unfortunately talk!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Mitutoyo doesn't manufacture anything in the USA anymore. Their rules and squares are made by PEC Tools and I would bet anything else labeled USA is outsourced. Brown and Sharpe does the same with many of their tools.
It's too bad but dollars unfortunately talk!
I didn't think they 'manufactured' much of anything in USA but who knows. Seems to me something else either I bought or considered, like a rule or radius gage said made elsewhere. Brazil maybe? At least the quality was decent. I know I backed off a combination square because I saw it was made elsewhere, although nothing onerous in the reviews. Everything I've ever bought in terms of micrometers says made in Japan. Again, I don't particularly care. But the quality has to be better than the peers to warrant the higher price, which it wasn't in this case.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've also bought Mitutoyo stuff on amazon...so long as it's shipped and sold by amazon themselves, your odds are pretty good.
That has not been the experience of many. Amazon is the wild west of scammers. Be forewarned.
If the seller/fulfiller is a legitimate authorized dealer & using Amazon storefront to blow down inventory or whatever, you stand half a chance. But most of the big names just run their purchases through their own websites, including discount sales.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
That has not been the experience of many. Amazon is the wild west of scammers. Be forewarned.
If the seller/fulfiller is a legitimate authorized dealer & using Amazon storefront to blow down inventory or whatever, you stand half a chance. But most of the big names just run their purchases through their own websites, including discount sales.

That is why I said shipped AND sold by Amazon. Third party sellers (even fulfilled by Amazon) are the ones to watch out for.

Amazon is on their authorized distributors list in Canada:

gerritv

Gerrit
Thanks. That link didn't work because it wants zip code (USA distributors)

But this one does for Canada & ITM is on the list, along with many more

My point was to call Mitutoyo Canada, not to verify that ITM was on the list but to check whether that is even a product of theirs. It strikes me as suspicious that only distributors show that part number, not Mitutoyo itself. None of their catalogs or sites list that series of part numbers. Some distributors call then pin punches, some label the material as tungsten carbide.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My point was to call Mitutoyo Canada, not to verify that ITM was on the list but to check whether that is even a product of theirs. It strikes me as suspicious that only distributors show that part number, not Mitutoyo itself. None of their catalogs or sites list that series of part numbers. Some distributors call then pin punches, some label the material as tungsten carbide.
Yes, I see what you are saying. My understanding is that all these dealers source from Mit-Canada. ITM didn't say that specifically on this issue, but that was my prior experience with KBC & T.Skinner on other Mit parts which I required. They said they get everything from Mit-Canada & if they didn't have stock it was Japan direct.

We touched on this aspect before the site crash. That would presume a distributer who sells, lets say 98% legitimate Mit instruments, does the sneaky & blends in 2% of inferior knockoff parts not endorsed by the Mothership. I would think this might risk losing the higher revenue 98% altogether if they yank selling rights for infringement. Seems like unfavorable outcome odds, but hey, its not my business. Post #4 shows a multitude of Mit dealers advertising the same item (albeit with conflicting descriptions as you say, which is classic knockoff confusion). Yet they also sell the 'good' stuff. So all these resellers are doing the same sneaky? It sounds way too organized for what is basically a middleman operation. All this to satisfy 2% lower-down-the-food chain revenue items predominantly for small business / hobby purchasers? A tooling seller can offer a Mit, Starrett & house brand micrometer. But they don't pass off a house brand labelled as a Mit or Starrett, that's the difference.

The only thing that goes round to me is that specific items are being outsourced or otherwise being introduced into the mix. Either knowingly by 'head office' consent, or maybe at the N-Am dealer level because that is how some of these items are labelled. But what does Mit of N-Am even mean? Many tooling companies of yesteryear like have done something similar. Starrett & Jacobs come to mind but the same thing has occurred in Europe. I just wish they made a sub-brand distinction like EconoLine or Professional so you have a hint of what you are potentially getting. But I'm sure the marketing folks have studied this model & concluded its better to just allow presumption that everything is excellent, the name still means something & therefore can command high price multipliers. Just deal with a few disgruntled customers as necessary.

If that's the case, the only option is to direct my personal purchasing decisions accordingly. If brand loyalty means nothing & the item is in the same mix as Shars, Asimeto, Fowler... then so be it. My dollars are a drop in their bucket.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That is why I said shipped AND sold by Amazon. Third party sellers (even fulfilled by Amazon) are the ones to watch out for.
I don't understand what you mean. Use this as example. Is says shipped & sold by as you say. But where does it say the name of principle seller/distributer in the product description? Down in the comments it looks like Travers in this particular case. But it seems like only because someone asked a question & they sought to reply & their name became stamped?

Then look to the right side of page where they show alternative listings for same item. One of them is ITM (showing not shipped by & not sold by). So you are saying on this basis alone 'watch out for'? Yet ITM is showing up under Mitutoyo list no different than Travers?

Attachments

• EDT-2023-01-08 10.53.59 AM.jpg
    EDT-2023-01-08 10.53.59 AM.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 5
  • EDT-2023-01-08 10.54.41 AM.jpg
    EDT-2023-01-08 10.54.41 AM.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 5
  • EDT-2023-01-08 10.56.55 AM.jpg
    EDT-2023-01-08 10.56.55 AM.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 5

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
As long as it says this, it means it's amazon themselves selling it:

1673202664318.png

The other sells you can buy from are listed separately, these ones are the questionable sources for Mitutoyo:

1673202731110.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes, I see what you are pointing at, exact same as my screen grab. But what is the basis for your confidence that its a 'real' Mitutoyo based only on 'ships by & sold by' = Amazon?
Are you saying Amazon is an assigned Mitutoyo distributer, kind of like KBC or Travers are distributers? Then what is the difference between ITM being same dealer status as per Mitutoyo Canada dealer list?

Here is the same problem parallel set. Happens to be Amazon dot com, not dot ca. But that may just be availability. Because its temporarily out of stock right now it may not be showing the 'ships by & sold by' status.

Attachments

• SNAG-2023-01-08 12.09.53 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2023-01-08 12.09.53 PM.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 0

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Yes, I see what you are pointing at, exact same as my screen grab. But what is the basis for your confidence that its a 'real' Mitutoyo based only on 'ships by & sold by' = Amazon?
Are you saying Amazon is an assigned Mitutoyo distributer, kind of like KBC or Travers are distributers? Then what is the difference between ITM being same dealer status as per Mitutoyo Canada dealer list?

Here is the same problem parallel set. Happens to be Amazon dot com, not dot ca. But that may just be availability. Because its temporarily out of stock right now it may not be showing the 'ships by & sold by' status.

If you look in the link posted above of the Mitutoyo Canadian distributors list, amazon is one of them....what's so hard to understand about that? Amazon themselves are an authorized distributor, no different than ITM or KBC or anyone else. The difference is there are also third party sellers on Amazon and that's where the counterfeit stuff comes from when people say "don't buy on amazon". It's really not that complicated.

Matt-Aburg

Ultra Member
I purchased a Height gauge just before Christmas. This has not even been opened. I am including the PDF from Mitutoyo on the product line. The link from KBC. I am alarmed that the box unopened box states "Made in China" and the product is advertised on KBC as blue instead of orange. I have a bit of work to do right now in the shop but will add photos later.

Attachments

• 1-808-570312.jpg
    1-808-570312.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 3

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

That's a good counter example Peter. The same suspicious adjustable parallels but sold direct by amazon themselves. They should be coming from Mitutoyo direct - so Mitutoyo has some subpar tooling now or it's a knock off of some sort and amazon is selling them.

In the case of my tap wrenches they were quite inexpensive - not really like Mitutoyo. I'm not sure where this is going. Calling Mitutoyo is a idea but I'm at work during business hours and can't be 45 minutes on some endless call being transferred around. We'll see what ITM says here and compare notes.