• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Mitutoyo combination square

I don't know if this is the right place for this thread since people mostly seem to post awesome big machine finds here. This is more of a beginners small tool find that will probably bore most of you more advanced folks. It's a Mitutoyo #180-905 4 piece combination square in apparent pristine condition. There was also a 12 inch Moore & Wright #421A ruler and a General #18 machinists protractor included in this Kijiji find all for $60. I was looking for a combination square for some time and I almost bought myself a new Starrett square for Christmas on sale from KBC.

This combination square set appears to be housed in original styrofoam packing inside a beautifully crafted custom plexiglass box. I'm guessing made by the former millwright owner. My only complaint is that the styrofoam is aging and chipping and too soft to wear well. So I'm experimenting with painting the styrofoam with acrylic paint to harden the surface and make it more durable. Would be interested in any thoughts from other members.

combination square set.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Nice find!
I have two sets of Mitutoyo combo squares including the protractor heads.
Might put one up for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Nice score! High build drywall primer might help with the surface... The angles and shapes are pretty simple, perhaps a wood reconstruction?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've always wanted to try making an instrument storage box for oddball things that belong together. Cutting the shape out from MDF or plywood is a no-brainer. The lid could be a slide on piece of 1/8 or 1/4" ply. But the internal coating is where I stall out. I think the old school method is gluing felt which requires some stretching & mitering (skill). Then there is this flocking stuff which looks like it could be fun the first time. Someone told me if you spray the felt with a light mist of clear it stabilizes the fibers. Then there is those rubberized coatings which form a kind of pebbly textures surface.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...ct-materials/100782-suede-tex-flocking-fibers

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You used to be able to buy flocking guns quite cheap, in the 10-15$ range. It is a bit slower, but you can get by with a piece of curved cardboard and a gentle breath. Flocking is not my fave, however. I prefer MDF with a few coats of Varathane.

[edit] lee valley's flocking gun is 10 bucks.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Or you could just cut out a pattern that matches the outline bottom & use toolbox liner, its nice & soft.
Many precision instruments just come in fitted plain wood. Coat of varathane like Dabbler suggest would keep the dirty fingertip marks down.
I've also cut plain rubber foam on my scroll saw with a fine blade like to make cutout profiles.

1617150922722.png 1617150959625.png