Minor fire this evening

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Well, that was an adrenaline packed evening. Got a call that we had a fire at the other end of the island. Got down there in time to lay hose and run pumps. Forest BC helicopter followed a minute later with some drops.
About half an acre and then brought into control.
Glad we had enough tankers to keep our pump trucks going. Old, second hand trucks that paid for themselves today.
More work tomorrow, and a fair bit tonight for those folks who drew fire watch.
Yikes.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Well, that was an adrenaline packed evening. Got a call that we had a fire at the other end of the island. Got down there in time to lay hose and run pumps. Forest BC helicopter followed a minute later with some drops.
About half an acre and then brought into control.
Glad we had enough tankers to keep our pump trucks going. Old, second hand trucks that paid for themselves today.
More work tomorrow, and a fair bit tonight for those folks who drew fire watch.
Yikes.
Stay safe.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Morning debrief done. Everything went very well and smoothly. No injuries, a few equipment kinks to work out, and the realization that no pumper is going to move once hoses are down. We have a small truck we expected would be shuttled to refill. Nope. Pumped our tanker to it instead.
Flare-ups continue as it's pretty clearly an under-ground fire. Excavator in there now breaking it up further.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
We have a pretty robust, if small, fire team who keep the pumpers and tankers going and practice regularly, along with whole-community fire practices twice anually.
The fire was spotted by our neighbor who was out fishing - there's a great salmon ground right by where the fire started. It was simultaneously reported by two other vessels - I think everyone is hyper-aware of fire danger now.
We'll likely never know the source - the area is pretty destroyed at this point, digging out subterrainean pockets of heat.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Thank you for your community support. Is Wikipedia correct that you are all one big strata?

I can’t get some of our strata members to cut down the weeds on their patios, let alone fight fires.

(My horribly inappropriate sense of humor suggests Subterranean Pockets Of Heat would be a great name for either a punk band or a BBQ sauce)