• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Mini engine hoist for basement shop

Tmate

I've had this Bluebird engine hoist for many years. Used mainly by tool rental companies, these disassemble without tools for easy transport in a pickup.

Unfortunately, as I have gotten older, I can no longer lift the parts to assemble it, and so bought a new folding hoist. After several unsuccessful attempts to practically give away the old hoist on eBay, I decided to do something else with it.

Engine hoists are a glut on the market, with imported models available for a couple hundred dollars with free shipping. However, small shop cranes are almost non-existent, and most shop owners end up making their own.

I narrowed my old hoist by 10" and shortened the legs by 24" each. I cut the lifting beam back by 21". After welding the mini version back together, I have ended up with a unit that will straddle workbenches and carts, and fit easily through doorways. The 1,200 lb. capacity was marginal for an engine hoist, but capable of anything I might throw at it in my shop.

Bluebird hoist.jpg shop hoist1.jpg shop hoist2.jpg