• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

MINE!

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
My compound looked like yours when I got it, if the chuck doesn't come off easy there are a couple of threads on things to try and the experiences others have had with stuck chucks.
If you don't have a manual it can be downloaded from SM.

@YotaBota Headstock GB looks super clean, I ran the spindle by hand in both high, low, and neutral. No chipped teeth, no abnormal or really any noticeable wear, no bad noises or 'feel' from the geartrain. I'll get a magnet into the bottom of the headstock gearbox and see if I can fish out any filings. I really doubt there will be much.

IMG_2321.JPG

My compound looked like yours when I got it, if the chuck doesn't come off easy there are a couple of threads on things to try and the experiences others have had with stuck chucks.
If you don't have a manual it can be downloaded from SM.
Yeah, can always try a little heat (I use a propane or map gas torch) on the spindle threads. I'll likely take a shot at doing this today. The 3 jaw chuck looks a little beat cosmetically. The 4 jaw it came with looks mint.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Btw, how big a chuck/backplate can I safely run on this lathe if I ever look for another chuck?
If you go bigger you add weight and momentum that the spindle isn't designed to handle. You might get away with it but for how long. It's like putting a 427ci in a 1st gen Tacoma, it will work but the tranny/rearend/frame/brakes etc aren't designed for the power and weight and something is gonna fail real quick. Maybe an over kill comparison but the concept is the same, if you need a bigger chuck think about getting a bigger lathe, imho.
Here is a link to an NOS Bison chuck for the SM9 that a few of us bought.

As far as HS noise goes, see if you can checkout the other local machines so you have something to compare with.

Last edited:
If you go bigger you add weight and momentum that the spindle isn't designed to handle. You might get away with it but for how long. It's like putting a 427ci in a 1st gen Tacoma, it will work but the tranny/rearend/frame/brakes etc aren't designed for the power and weight and something is gonna fail real quick. Maybe an over kill comparison but the concept is the same, if you need a bigger chuck think about getting a bigger lathe, imho.
Here is a link to an NOS Bison chuck for the SM9 that a few of us bought.

As far as HS noise goes, see if you can checkout the other local machines so you have something to compare with.

Oh I get it, thats why I asked. I know enough engineers and earned enough lumps the hard way to know that you cant just
'f**k around' with mods on something spinning that kind of mass 2 feet from your face.

And I might just organize a visit to @YYCHM to hear his lathe, however now that I have the old 3ph motor out (replaced with brand new baldor) and on the bench its clear that its bearings are shot/noisy. Old motor style with grease zerts to lube the bearings.

Proxule

Ultra Member
@YotaBota Headstock GB looks super clean, I ran the spindle by hand in both high, low, and neutral. No chipped teeth, no abnormal or really any noticeable wear, no bad noises or 'feel' from the geartrain. I'll get a magnet into the bottom of the headstock gearbox and see if I can fish out any filings. I really doubt there will be much.

View attachment 21899
I threw in some rare earth magnets in the bottom of my head-stock and left it there. When I flush and fill every X months I grab the magnets and clean them off.

Gluck

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
You're probably the one I was thinking of. Were the bearings difficult to replace?

Last edited:
Motor bearings are usually trivial to do. I've replaced 7-8 sets of motor bearings so far this year. propane/map gas plumbers torch comes in handy to get the old ones off, plus a couple of 2 jaw and 3 jaw pullers.