• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Milling vise tune up

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I got a Kurt D688 from Travers Canada. The invoice price is $602CAD. My CC got charged $632. The first price includes tax of 30CAD = 5% Alberta ... but VISE is shipped from US - not sure whatever a Canadian subsidiary can ship from US in such a way. Anyways if my broker charges me I just ask Travers or Canadian customs for refund of double tax. I still need to figure out the $30 difference - maybe their system is simply so poorly programmed the price changes... Also their shipping email lists 760CAD... I think these guys hired Indian developers in India to do their programming.

Anyways just touch over 600CAD seems like a good deal for a new Kurt D688.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I am not 100% sure - their website is very buggy and it seems it has charged some people more some less hence why my bank called me to make sure this was not a fraud (I hope they are legit business). I also got 25% labour day discount. Which seems to be advertised only on their US site.

kylemp

I was just at modern, they actually stock Vertex there. I think the price was 830? I've attached the picture of the display one.

Attachments

• 20160909_104721.jpg
    20160909_104721.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 13

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Re Travers, had a similar incident. Was looking for a Mitutoyo vernier while back & trying to avoid clones. Travers was price X even with a discount. I checked around, saw it cheaper on Amazon.ca, they specified made in Japan/legit etc. So placed the order. Then when the invoice came through it said 'fulfilled by Travers'. Go figure. Dopplegangers I guess.

I suspect you may well have benefitted by US sale occurring same time & that's a good strategy. It is common that Travers & KBC fulfill some their CDN orders from US locations, I see that all the time - partial orders dribbling in from here & there. You still pay the one flat shipping per order though. What they do behind the scenes to fulfill the order & any internal customs stuff, their system takes care of. One caveat of the flat ship charge is heavy stuff, but that also applies to items in stock in Canada & usually they tell you that up front.

Last edited:

Tcwheels

I almost ordered a Glacern vise a couple of weeks ago as they have lowered the price on their 6" one from about $400 down to $275.

https://www.glacern.com/gsv_690

But it's still US dollar and shipping is not cheap for a vise that weighs 75 pounds..

The key strip that locates the rear jaw is dead straight as is the slot for the alignment keys for the table slot so I got lucky there.
The fixture on the back is for a vise stop that I made up.
We import the same vise under our brand name Acuratool at Mavhinery Canada. Stock in TO.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
US Amazon.com indicates its in stock but for 499 USD vs. 579 for latest model of Kurt D6.
https://www.glacern.com/gsv_690 indicates price of 399. Which is inline with Amazon 499 (shipping + other costs == $100)

Looks like the sale you talk about is over.

If they add it to Amazon.ca the price will be around 499USD ==> CAD which is around $660 or more. Remember "free shipping" is not exactly... free. Also if amazon does it they charge handling fee as well as shelf space fee per month in addition to a fee for using amazon.

To ship "cheaper" from the US one method is to ship to Canadian border, pay around $7 (or $10) USD handling then pay about $20 CAD + GST border fee and then $10 CAD to get it to Calgary.

For $275 USD it would be a great deal - that is only 362 CAD & with cheapest shipping should not be more than 460CAD for a great vise... new.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I've got a shars 4" vise at the border, using Dyk post to bring to calgary. Should have it today, I'll post actual shipping costs once I know

Really liking Dyk post, not cheap but damn professional and convenient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
For anyone interested, Shars 440v CNC milling vise, approx. 31lbs shipping weight.

Cost 250USD - 10% 4th July coupon = 225 USD
UPS to border (Montana Mailbox) ~40USD. No free shipping -- I waited several months

DYK Post to Calgary: 56.01 CDN
20 Brokerage
10 DYK Transportation (based on weight)
2 Disbersement fee (for paying my montana mailbox fee)
6.08 Montana mailbox warehouse fee
14.82 Taxes
0.96 Fuel Surcharge (DYK)
1.65 GST (on DYK fees)

No duty.

As an aside, I debated long and hard about getting the Glacern vs. the Kurt (the new DX4) vs. local (limited 4" options). After taking machining course at SAIT this spring, and running a Kurt as well as a an off-brand, realized that I probably wouldn't benefit from the difference. Instructor also said that for the hobbyist, the Kurt is a luxury. Decided to test the Shars product/delivery/cost experience and if survivable, I would go back for the dividing head.........

Tcwheels

Can offer our Acuratools ATD460 4” Vise for $375.00 Net CAD better than Shars products in my opinion. Shipping from Toronto.
Tim @ Machinery Canada

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Let me know how Shars works out. I bought few months ago a used Shars older double vise 6" but have not yet tried it out beyond freeing it and greasing it. It will go onto my old horizontal mill. I plan to use it as either double or a super large capacity single (12").

I disagree that a Kurt or Toolmex or Orange visa is a luxury for a hobbyist. I use a vise in 99% of machining operations (I usually don't need to use the table clamping or rotary) I want to get something that works superbly all the time, every time without second guessing myself.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Got a link Tim?

Tim, I queried the brand, the model # etc and little nothing came back. As a consumer, lack of product info, testimonial, video etc is concerning

I think that is why brands like glacern, Kurt, shars, and others get traction

If you are open minded u could ship one this way for the group to evaluate

I am just beginning my journey into milling but others here could really give it a shake down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcwheels

Just trying to help put. Old school veteran to the biz 41 years at it and counting. Not counting the child labor in back shop with my late father. Also trying to finish a new PDF on my Vises to put up on our website. Also working on a new web store for both my companies we own. Machinery Canada and Techleader Tooling in the USA. Allot of my biz comes from referrals because they use my knowledge and frankness to help people out.
I could attach my rough PDF if I knew how. If you wish to send me a email at tcwheels@bell.net I can send it to you.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hi Tim, it could be because you are a new member. There are a certain minimum #of posts you have to have before you can attach files/pictures. I’m sure Admin will chime in to confirm.
Once you are “cleared” it will be under “attach files”, browse, pick the location where you have the pdf stored on your device, upload it, attach it, post it and you should be successful.