• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Milling machines, what to buy/look for

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Doh...... Of course! The soft start I have. But because it had no speeds from the factory, I never thought about the impact of materials and wheels on the ideal speed.

Thank you!

It's prolly somewhat related to cutting speeds, but do you happen to have a chart of recommended speeds for grinding wheels and materials?
I can't say that I've ever seen a chart, but I'm sure wheel manufactures would have some info on the wheels and applications. There might even be something in the machinerys handbook? My grinding experience is limited to a small selections of tool steels and wheels. I have good practical skills on a grinder, but my theoretical knowledge is pretty basic. IMO It's pretty much an entire trade on it's own. Anytime I had something out of the ordinary, I'd go to the shop next door and ask "Bob". He'd walk over to the wall, grab a wheel, and give me a short education on what it was, and why it was the best one for the job. Incredibly knowledgeable toolmaker/grinder, but he retired a few years ago.