Milling machines, what to buy/look for

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Doh...... Of course! The soft start I have. But because it had no speeds from the factory, I never thought about the impact of materials and wheels on the ideal speed.

Thank you!

It's prolly somewhat related to cutting speeds, but do you happen to have a chart of recommended speeds for grinding wheels and materials?
I can't say that I've ever seen a chart, but I'm sure wheel manufactures would have some info on the wheels and applications. There might even be something in the machinerys handbook? My grinding experience is limited to a small selections of tool steels and wheels. I have good practical skills on a grinder, but my theoretical knowledge is pretty basic. IMO It's pretty much an entire trade on it's own. Anytime I had something out of the ordinary, I'd go to the shop next door and ask "Bob". He'd walk over to the wall, grab a wheel, and give me a short education on what it was, and why it was the best one for the job. Incredibly knowledgeable toolmaker/grinder, but he retired a few years ago.