• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

MILLING MACHINE MINI CRAFTEX CSA CX605

I am thinking that the mill I got towards the end of last year is not going to work for me. I am a hobbyist working on models, and all the fittings are just too big and are really hindering me. I bought it to replace a smaller machine that we sold when we moved to Nova Scotia last year.
So, it's from Busy Bee and is a CRAFTEX CSA CX605 plus machining vise, boxed set of hold downs etc. It maybe has an hour of runtime to date.
The only issue is that it is here in Lunenburg, and quite heavy.
It normally.lists for around $1100 or so so I would be looking at somewhere in the $800 area.
Any advice would be much appreciated - thanks, Mike

What about making a pallet to bolt to the table and secure your work to that with the smaller hardware.... Just thinking that by the time you sell this one and replace it your out a lot of time and expense.

Thanks, that is an interesting thought, certainly worth investigating.

You can almost always find ways to use a bigger machine on small stuff but you can seldom do it the other way around.

I'd find a way to attach a smaller table (maybe even with other desirable features) and get an adapter for the spindle to take smaller tools. That will cost you way less than downgrading and still leave you with the ability to work on bigger things if you ever want to.

You can almost always find ways to use a bigger machine on small stuff but you can seldom do it the other way around.

I'd find a way to attach a smaller table (maybe even with other desirable features) and get an adapter for the spindle to take smaller tools. That will cost you way less than downgrading and still leave you with the ability to work on bigger things if you ever want to.
I can attest to this. I picked up a little Taig lathe with a milling attachment, thinking it would do what I need. But even though I am doing small pieces, it is just to light. So I will likely start looking for a small mill in the new year.

One size down Seig micro mill - which would appear to be not available
Is this like the micro mill that LittleMachineShop sells?

4660.480.jpg

The LMS web pages are a little confusing. If you are interested, I'd contact them to clarify whether they'll ship it to Canada or not. BTW, I would think that the MT2 spindle would make it challenging to find tooling?!?

Craig

It was the previous iteration of this mill from lms- and I have ordered stuff from them before, and this would be perfect for my needs - however I will need to find a home for the one I have now! Budget thing...

It was the previous iteration of this mill from lms- and I have ordered stuff from them before, and this would be perfect for my needs - however I will need to find a home for the one I have now! Budget thing...

You want to downsize your mill???

Back