• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Milling machine-mechanic’s special

Frcsc6el8

Located in Cobble Hill BC

Nice small machine for home workshop. No motor, no vise, no handles no tooling.
NMTB30 in horizontal spindle
Couldn’t tell about vertical spindle
Very solid apparently came from a local high school
Floor model but would need to go on a plinth for a comfortable working height

No affiliation with seller:

Syd Haskell 250-886-2658

Attachments

• IMG_1713.jpeg
    IMG_1713.jpeg
    851.4 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1712.jpeg
    IMG_1712.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_1711.jpeg
    IMG_1711.jpeg
    849.3 KB · Views: 98

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Too bad these get left out in the rain.

What kind of HP do you guys think this should have? (Dang, I'm a sucker for a fixer upper)

Also: thoughts on reasonable price?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Also: thoughts on reasonable price?
Cheap, real damn cheap, scrap price would being generous.
If you tell him you're coming from up island a case of beer might do it but a couple of hundred bucks should get it.

IIRC that machine has a motor for the horizontal and another for the vertical, candidate for 3ph and a vfd.

It would make an interesting project, parts may not be hard to get as most of the Chinese mills are clones of something decent.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Cheap, real damn cheap, scrap price would being generous.
If you tell him you're coming from up island a case of beer might do it but a couple of hundred bucks should get it.

IIRC that machine has a motor for the horizontal and another for the vertical, candidate for 3ph and a vfd.

It would make an interesting project, parts may not be hard to get as most of the Chinese mills are clones of something decent.
Any guess what a used 3 ph motor would cost? Best guess would at least give me an idea.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Any guess what a used 3 ph motor would cost? Best guess would at least give me an idea.

I got a 2hp 3ph in Calgary for $60.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I just bought two brand new takeoffs for another member - one 5hp and one 2hp for $50 each on Kijiji.

They sit for months at 2 or 3 hundred and then the seller puts them at the curb or takes your fifty dollar bill. Forget about the scabs and resellers.

Look for typos and mis-categorized stuff and look how long it's been listed.

Your biggest problem won't be price. It will be frame and shaft.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
VFD cost would depend on your preference for quality and functionality, $100 or less from Amazon/Ebay to $400ish for a Teco.

The handles are missing but at least the dials are still there.

@Tomc938 - Have you wandered around the local machine shops and manufacturing outfits? One of them could have a machine sitting in the corner that has be replaced or just isn't used enough that they have been "thinking" about getting out of the shop.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for all the input guys!

I'm gogn to see if I can get ahold of the seller today.

And @YotaBota, great idea on the poking around machine shops. there aren't many here in Campbell River, but Nanaimo North the options open up a bit more.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
After looking carefully at it, perhaps a touch more.

I assume he can load it on a trailer for you...

This is definitely a project machine. Perhaps 100 hours of rebuild. Spindle bearings will be usable for a short time, but will need replacing - it has seen a bunch of rain and it's a good bet that you head has water in it. I wish I could see the RH side of the machine, where the hand wheel goes.

It is all there, and a good machine can be made out of it. Check for backlash in X and Y Z should be undamaged from moisture. If X or Y won't turn, or there is more than .100 backlash in either, 300$ tops. Making new nuts/replacing lead screws startes to rapidly erode the value.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I stumbled upon an XLO at a good price, so if things work out with that one I'll pass on the project. The little things can quickly raise the value beyond what it's worth in the end.

It drives my wife nuts sometimes, but I do have a habit of seeing something like this and saying, "I think I can fix that."
Nice! I've read that XLOs are very nice machines.