• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Milling machine Banff $1400

Banff, with a population of 8000 of which probably 90% cater to the tourist industry, you have to wonder how many machine shops would actually exist in such a town?

It might be legit, but the odds are not great.

Stunningly beautiful to visit. I climbed Rundle when I was 10, my brother took a nasty tumble and came very close to taking the fast way down:eek:

I bought my (now sold) Standard-Modern 9" Lathe from a fella who was the head of maintenance at the Rimrock Resort in Banff. The lathe had resided in the maintenance area at the rimrock for a number of years mainly because it was a 3phase motor and their maint shop had 3 phase power so the maintenance head moved the lathe (which was owned by him and not the rimrock) there... I got a good deal on it too.

Last edited:
By any chance was the Rimrock maintenance guy making a 1.5” scale CPR Selkirk? If not, there’s another machine shop in Banff town- owned by a hotel staff person- I just don’t know which hotel.

You guy's would be surprised what is in Banff and surrounding area for machinery , the area once had very active mining , logging industries , not to mention the still active railroad , power generation facilities , light manufacturing & maintenance , ski resorts , transportation industries . I have a friend in Canmore ( where there is a bit of light industrial activity ) who has a very impressive home machine shop . He picked up a mint Bridgeport mill that was a former TransAlta machine , was bought new by TransAlta utilities to be used in maintenance it had barely been used and mostly sat around for it's entire time spent at the facility . A real nice Standard Modern lathe lives at my Friends place too .

Last edited:
By any chance was the Rimrock maintenance guy making a 1.5” scale CPR Selkirk? If not, there’s another machine shop in Banff town- owned by a hotel staff person- I just don’t know which hotel.
Nope. he said he mostly used the lathe for machining parts for restoring motorcycles.

Back