• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Miller AC/DC stick welder, Plasma cutter

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
John S is selling his stick welder and his plasma.

Stick welder AC/DC up to 220 amps, 250$

IMG_20211130_112414.jpg
Plasma cutter. H hasn't used it in years, 100$

IMG_20211130_112430.jpg
contact me if you are interested. he has no internet, so he asked me to post it for him.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Would love a plasma cutter, but too far and maybe too small too.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
You can get plenty of the 50 amp Chinese plasma cutters for cheap - they are "50" through, in similar fashion to many welders being "200".

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'd need something that would at least cut 1/2" steel plate, preferably 1", and ideally 2". Farm stuff is BIG.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I'd need something that would at least cut 1/2" steel plate, preferably 1", and ideally 2". Farm stuff is BIG.

Chinese 50 amp will have no issues with 1/2. It struggles with 3/4. There is no chance it will cut 1".
If you need 2" you need acetylene setup or propane + oxygen.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Just price out a Lincoln Tombstone 225AC....... Like everything else, they've gone up in price.

I've been watching auctions for a while. You can get one every now and then for less, but typically off farms where they have been 'utilized-heavily'. I think the price(s) are fair.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Chinese 50 amp will have no issues with 1/2. It struggles with 3/4. There is no chance it will cut 1".
If you need 2" you need acetylene setup or propane + oxygen.

Well, as I said the minimum is 1/2" so if 50 will do that then it sounds like a plan to me.

I have an acetylene torch now and I have used it all the way up to cutting railway track into chunks. But it seems my OxyA cutting is almost as bad as my welding. I'd like something cleaner.

Edit - btw, oxy map is WAY better than Oxy Propane.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Just price out a Lincoln Tombstone 225AC....... Like everything else, they've gone up in price.

I've been watching auctions for a while. You can get one every now and then for less, but typically off farms where they have been 'utilized-heavily'. I think the price(s) are fair.

OK, good to know - I buy more off auctions then. I am thinking of getting rid of my dad's forney as it is large and swapping in a smaller airco. The airco is tiny b/c it has a build in fan and little internal room. I add to them a bridge rectifier to make it a DC box. As a bonus mine came in with 20m (!!!) long leads so dad would be able to hide the welder somewhere and weld anywhere around his garage or house.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, as I said the minimum is 1/2" so if 50 will do that then it sounds like a plan to me.

I have an acetylene torch now and I have used it all the way up to cutting railway track into chunks. But it seems my OxyA cutting is almost as bad as my welding. I'd like something cleaner.

Edit - btw, oxy map is WAY better than Oxy Propane.

Yes it will do 1/2. It really excels at 1/4 and under where cut is nice and clean. For 1/2 you have to go slow and cut no longer is "perfect". For 3/4 you basically are at "it will eventually cut it" with tons of spatter and garbage cut.
I think Chinese put the limit on it at 10mm and 15mm sever. But they advertise 20mm cut and 25mm sever (!)

For a little more $$$ you can get bigger versions that are 60amps or maybe more. I expect 60 amp version to be cleaner at 1/2" but I would be shocked if it severed 1" plate over say 10" cut - at least on 1 pass.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tha
Yes it will do 1/2. It really excels at 1/4 and under where cut is nice and clean. For 1/2 you have to go slow and cut no longer is "perfect". For 3/4 you basically are at "it will eventually cut it" with tons of spatter and garbage cut.
I think Chinese put the limit on it at 10mm and 15mm sever. But they advertise 20mm cut and 25mm sever (!)

For a little more $$$ you can get bigger versions that are 60amps or maybe more. I expect 60 amp version to be cleaner at 1/2" but I would be shocked if it severed 1" plate over say 10" cut - at least on 1 pass.

Thanks Tom. That will guide my way nicely.