Mill Quill stop

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Here are close-up photos of my quill DRO Scale install. Because the quill Knob is round, only one screw is required to hold the sensor bracket in place. The scale does not interfere with reading the scale or adjusting the stop. As a bonus, the DRO can be used to adjust the stop with precision. I love it.

I am unsure of mounting the sensor itself such that it can read a magnetic strip without hiding a manual ruler scale behind it though.....

Also the flat face length where the ruler mounts is inadequate to accommodate the total length of the magnetic strip that is required. Not good...... Plus the feed clutch is in there too. More not good.

View attachment 33669

After reading @Tecnico's comment about the nice flat surface on the right side of his first mill I decided to look again at our Bridgeport. It does have a flat area too...

Not really flat but flat enough. Sadly I didn't take pics today. But I did work out a mount for the right side preserving the scale on the left, and avoiding any possible interference with the dohicky on the left that kicks off the autofeed.

I've got it all worked out in great detail. Unlike your Hartford I have low profile hex nuts, so I only needed to plan enough clearance to get a wrench in to loosen the nuts behind the scale. I only need to buy flat head socket cap screws to mount it.

I'll wax the back of the bracket, and put a thin layer of epoxy putty on the mill before I put the scale on, and the mount the scale and insert shims if necessary to ensure that the install remains inline with the screw.

1681786192807.png

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I can't finish the mount without a working boring head to be able to mill that damn .75" radius.

my kingdomw for the little bar in the lower right of this pic

1681791680954.png