Mill quill dro

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
It's probably been done as many different ways as it has been done in total, but here is what I did for my mill quill readout.
I've thought the available commercial mill quill dro's are overpriced for what they are so I bought a digital caliber on sale at Crappy Tire and hacked it down to fit. The only modification I did to the mill itself was two small 3mm threaded holes for the mounting angle into the existing sliding block that rides up and down on the quill stop. The other end was just a block that threaded onto the stop rod.
Yes the readout is vertical but I can live with that. I always hated the backlash that seemed to vary in the handwheel dial. This was Uber cheap mod but a bit finicky to get the scale straight and true. 20211215_104402.jpg 1639590834419211694664168945179.jpg

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Very innovative DRO !!
Great ideas come out of looking at things in different ways and making use of inexpensive items that are readily available from suppliers.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Very innovative DRO !!
Great ideas come out of looking at things in different ways and making use of inexpensive items that are readily available from suppliers.

I've seen people adapt them to their tailstock quill.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
If you are looking for DRO kits - KBC Tools in Mississauga list . .
12” DRO kit for $45.00
36” DRO kit for $130.00
*Dec2021 on their website*

Everett

Super User
I put a cheap caliper on my old mill drill, much like you did, bit took my approach from Marc L'Ecuyer. I splurged to get the kit from KBC for the new-to-me mill, but even on sale it was a bit ouchy to the pocketbook. Still haven't put DRO on anything else otherwise. Yet, lol.
Your install looks good though, and reading sideways isn't na big deal.

I've seen people adapt them to their tailstock quill.

Oh I haven’t see that one yet!

The mill one I’ve seen it’s a great idea. I’ve got a dro on my Bridgeport knee, I’ve thought of adding this idea as well.

Lee valley has “blindman” Versions with large display numbers would make viewing easier sideways. I got one for 20$ on special

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The Accusize readout (which is similar to others from China under different vendor names) has a few desirable features for mills. The digits & buttons are upright which reduces 90-deg neck cocking. The digits are physically bigger than some of the plain vanilla readouts, possibly sharper to my eye as well. It has abs/hold which I don't find much more useful than just zeroing the older reduced button style. But anyways its nice to have quill DRO, not just for drill setting but used in conjunction with knee setting on that style of mill. From what I hear they are not battery consumers like some of the bargoon verniers, but I don't own this particular one myself to say for certain.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I used a BB purchased inexpensive I-Gauge set up on my mill-drill quill...it was of no good use at all on my machine, the, what I would describe as "minute' " vibration of the machine running caused the read-out to constantly jump around.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I used a BB purchased inexpensive I-Gauge set up on my mill-drill quill...it was of no good use at all on my machine, the, what I would describe as "minute' " vibration of the machine running caused the read-out to constantly jump around.
Interesting I have a set of Igaging "Absolute DRO's" on my little lathe and really like them. There are/were two different versions of them however, one for wood working machinery (less accurate) and one of better accuracy. At the time I put them on there were no real price competitive options like a full blown dro package like there are now. I think by the time I had them shipped and everything they were at least a couple hundred dollars and now I believe I could get a "real" glass scale excellent dro package for under $300.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I don't remember where i bought these gauges back in 2006. The Shumatech DRO-350 was specifically set up for that protocol. The later DRO-550 (I have two of those not used at the moment) was able to work with a wider variety of scales. To prevent electrical noise and power the scales from the DRO-350 I created battery clones that were 0.01uF and 10uF capacitors in parallel. They went into the scale and helped the scale stay stable. The other photo shows it all mounted on the mill. The quill has a cast clamp to which the gauge is connected. (and below that a 3D printed holder and ring light). I moved the electrical box out away from the head casting so the gauge would fit.

I'm not sure the DRO-550 is even sold anymore since it was USA made and required a lot of assembly. For half that you can get China labour to do it for you.

Attachments

• DRO Connected.jpg
    DRO Connected.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 10
  • BatteryReplacement.jpg
    BatteryReplacement.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DRO_Installed.jpg
    DRO_Installed.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 10

LRSbm146

Just picked up the 12” igaging dro over Christmas to go on my tailstock. I didn’t like the idea of the fixed connection between the scale and the quill so I used an earth magnet. It’s not finished yet but it’s functional, just needs to be cleaned up

Attachments

• 35B73D6B-05A0-4364-8D0E-858EFE262158.jpeg
    35B73D6B-05A0-4364-8D0E-858EFE262158.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 15

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Just picked up the 12” igaging dro over Christmas to go on my tailstock. I didn’t like the idea of the fixed connection between the scale and the quill so I used an earth magnet. It’s not finished yet but it’s functional, just needs to be cleaned up
Looks good. Where did you buy the Igaging dro?