• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Mighty Big Machining Tools

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Someone was asking in another thread what could be done on a shaper that could not be done on a milling machine. This video is of a planer first cousin to the shaper. Can't think of any milling machine that can handle a 30 foot long work.

Check out the lathe in the background when the camera moves to the other size. It's a big baby too.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow! Watching that planer/shaper is kinda soothing! I wonder what a shop like that makes on a daily basis with such huge machinery.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Someone was asking in another thread what could be done on a shaper that could not be done on a milling machine. This video is of a planer first cousin to the shaper. Can't think of any milling machine that can handle a 30 foot long work.

Check out the lathe in the background when the camera moves to the other size. It's a big baby too.

Actually there is one right here in Ab., Blackfalds to be exact. I'm going from memory here as its been 5 or 6 yrs since I was in his shop, Has a rotary table that must be 20 ft wide and a head travel 20 or 30 ft up & down from the table and the column/head can travers 40 or 50 ft from the table. The table has a small movement ability if I remember right but most of the adjustable movement to accommodate very large work pieces is accomplished by moving the column...That's his "big mill", he has 2 of what he calls his "small mills" as well...One of them had a complete D8 track frame (rollers & front idler complete) mounted on the table the day I was there.
Now for his "biggest machine". He has lathe that the bed is about 65 ft long, the chuck is 8-10 ft in dia., the tailstock is 8 ft high & wide & the "center" is 3 ft in dia., Kerry told me the HP of the electic motor but I for get now what it was but size-wise it was a least 6 ft in dia and at least that long (hate to even pay the "start-up power bill" for it). The day I was there he had a turbine shaft from some power generating station chucked up in it. It was about 40 ft long & at least 36 " in dia ( I think he said it weighed 180,000 lbs.).

He imported both machines "used" from Germany ( the company there was having "bigger" machines installed). He knows of two other shops in N.A. that have as big machines, one in Cincinnati and the other in California.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
Actually there is one right here in Ab., Blackfalds to be exact. I'm going from memory here as its been 5 or 6 yrs since I was in his shop, Has a rotary table that must be 20 ft wide and a head travel 20 or 30 ft up & down from the table and the column/head can travers 40 or 50 ft from the table. The table has a small movement ability if I remember right but most of the adjustable movement to accommodate very large work pieces is accomplished by moving the column...That's his "big mill", he has 2 of what he calls his "small mills" as well...One of them had a complete D8 track frame (rollers & front idler complete) mounted on the table the day I was there.
Now for his "biggest machine". He has lathe that the bed is about 65 ft long, the chuck is 8-10 ft in dia., the tailstock is 8 ft high & wide & the "center" is 3 ft in dia., Kerry told me the HP of the electic motor but I for get now what it was but size-wise it was a least 6 ft in dia and at least that long (hate to even pay the "start-up power bill" for it). The day I was there he had a turbine shaft from some power generating station chucked up in it. It was about 40 ft long & at least 36 " in dia ( I think he said it weighed 180,000 lbs.).

He imported both machines "used" from Germany ( the company there was having "bigger" machines installed). He knows of two other shops in N.A. that have as big machines, one in Cincinnati and the other in California.
Hmmm! That sounds like a place that might be worthy of a shop tour???

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
I had heard there was a big Planer on a farm near Cochrane. Guy apparently bought it for near scrap value and installed it in an equipment shed. Once in a blue moon when he got a job for it he would hire one of the instructors from SAIT to go out and run the job.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
like I said in the other post, when I get mine going, lawn chair, beer, eyes closed, smelling the chips.........

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I will ask in the spring...he likes to shoot geese on my land in the fall so I might have an inside chance LOL. Ive known him for over 40 yrs but he will be down in Phoenix for the winter and I know he wouldn't want to have his "crew" interrupted without him being there.