• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

CA-ON McMaster-Carr

Ontario
Type
Supplies

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yup!! I'll use them often when I can't find things in Canada with quick delivery.

Most items will show place of manufacture.

Most of the metal stock will come with a certificate of composition.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just a few words to add some more data on ordering from McMaster.

I placed my first order yesterday at about 5:20 PM, specifying ground shipment. They have several options but they don't price them in advance - odd. Anyhow I picked ground and much to my surprise the package arrived at my door via Purolator today at 12:15PM. Either they subbed delivery out to the Wood brothers or it came by air! That beats Digikey's 2 - 3 day "overnight" shipping! Oh, I'm in Nova Scotia so not exactly centrally located.

The other tidbit was I filled in my company name on the order which seems to have met their commercial customer requirement.

All of the tax & border bureaucracy was included in the transaction so no dinger fees etc.

That definitely opens up more options for parts ordering although they're not the lowest cost option. That said, they also don't sell cheap goods either.

D :cool:

Ive had next day delivery on everything - just had to pass their commercial account hurdle. Gave them my HST number and I was golden. Hurdle jumping all in, I was still next day delivery. VERY IMPRESSED!

ChazzC

Just a few words to add some more data on ordering from McMaster.

I placed my first order yesterday at about 5:20 PM, specifying ground shipment. They have several options but they don't price them in advance - odd. Anyhow I picked ground and much to my surprise the package arrived at my door via Purolator today at 12:15PM. Either they subbed delivery out to the Wood brothers or it came by air! That beats Digikey's 2 - 3 day "overnight" shipping! Oh, I'm in Nova Scotia so not exactly centrally located.

The other tidbit was I filled in my company name on the order which seems to have met their commercial customer requirement.

All of the tax & border bureaucracy was included in the transaction so no dinger fees etc.

That definitely opens up more options for parts ordering although they're not the lowest cost option. That said, they also don't sell cheap goods either.

That’s the way it used t to be in U.S. After a surprise (shipping cost ‘way higher than expected) I messaged them via the website to ask why and they responded within 2 hours that it was because the items came from two locations, and they refunded the shipping charge. They also said I could always ask what the shipping charges would be via message. I did this from then on until the website started to show all costs in the cart (a year or so ago?). This made it a lot easier to decide what to buy (3, 1 foot lengths of stock cost less including shipping than one 3’ length). You can try messaging them: they seem to monitor messages 24/7/365 because I always get responses within 2 hours.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
That’s the way it used t to be in U.S. After a surprise (shipping cost ‘way higher than expected) I messaged them via the website to ask why and they responded within 2 hours that it was because the items came from two locations, and they refunded the shipping charge. They also said I could always ask what the shipping charges would be via message. I did this from then on until the website started to show all costs in the cart (a year or so ago?). This made it a lot easier to decide what to buy (3, 1 foot lengths of stock cost less including shipping than one 3’ length). You can try messaging them: they seem to monitor messages 24/7/365 because I always get responses within 2 hours.

That must be controlled by a USA or other switch in the shopping cart because they did not offer costed options for shipping. Maybe they’ll make the upgrade for us gringos at some point. ;)

I wasn’t worrying about it, I wasn’t in a hurry and didn’t want to pay for more than ground anyway. Now as far as impact on stock length that would be useful.

ChazzC

That must be controlled by a USA or other switch in the shopping cart because they did not offer costed options for shipping. Maybe they’ll make the upgrade for us gringos at some point. ;)

I wasn’t worrying about it, I wasn’t in a hurry and didn’t want to pay for more than ground anyway. Now as far as impact on stock length that would be useful.

Did you sign up for an account or just enter your company name on the order? Don’t doubt that they use location info to determine how they present details, but could also be reserved for account holders.

Try messaging them and asking if you can get a shipping/taxes/fees quote for future orders.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Premium Member
I created an account, that seemed to be how to gain access to order.

The form changed when I entered Canada as the destination, I assume that included shipping details but I hadn't gotten that far.

The messaging thing you speak of, is that an Instant Messenger window or E-mail?

ChazzC

I created an account, that seemed to be how to gain access to order.

The form changed when I entered Canada as the destination, I assume that included shipping details but I hadn't gotten that far.

The messaging thing you speak of, is that an Instant Messenger window or E-mail?

From the App, the “Email” option takes you to your email software; online, “Email” sends a message through their system (and they answer via email).