• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

McMaster-Carr

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Well, I've submitted and had shipping confirmation from MCM on my first order under my business name.

molyknow

Alex
Premium Member
Well, I've submitted and had shipping confirmation from MCM on my first order under my business name.
did you have to supply any paperwork? or is it just having a business name? also what was shipping like if you don't mind my asking?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
did you have to supply any paperwork? or is it just having a business name? also what was shipping like if you don't mind my asking?

No paperwork involved.
Don’t know shipping cost but I will update the thread when I find out.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
So shipping is a bit costly. 8 lbs of parts overnighted was $30 USD.
Curiously, the shipment originates in Etobicoke. Which makes me wonder about all the fuss about only shipping to CDN businesses.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Was there an option to go with slower shipping? Or they just ship how they want too?
I'm going to ask because I honestly don't need anything that quick.
I will say that they are ultra-responsive on inquiries and changing things.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
8 lbs for 30usd (overnight) is cheap. I paid about the same for similar/lower weight UPS ground 2 week donkey express. Just the shipping no dinger fees yet.
(my example was completely different company not MMC I specified USPS but somehow they didn't pay attention to the middle 'S'.)

Anyways, you might want to tread carefully here or PM one of the other folks on forum who have an 'account' to inquire. This is exactly where my friend ran into issues. He tried to alter the default shipping mode, then this led to that... I might be completely out to lunch but just mentioning FWIW. Anyways this is encouraging.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
8 lbs for 30usd (overnight) is cheap. I paid about the same for similar/lower weight UPS ground 2 week donkey express. Just the shipping no dinger fees yet.
(my example was completely different company not MMC I specified USPS but somehow they didn't pay attention to the middle 'S'.)

Anyways, you might want to tread carefully here or PM one of the other folks on forum who have an 'account' to inquire. This is exactly where my friend ran into issues. He tried to alter the default shipping mode, then this led to that... I might be completely out to lunch but just mentioning FWIW. Anyways this is encouraging.
Yeah, I'm not going to push the issue with them. Their delivery estimates to my part of Canada are optimistic IMHO though.
MMC says they first parts will arrive today. Last update Purolator says parts landed in Vanc. @ 4 am today for a delivery date of the 27th.
Either way its darn fast and as you say cheap for essentially two day service.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Curiously, the shipment originates in Etobicoke. Which makes me wonder about all the fuss about only shipping to CDN businesses.

I wouldn't worry about that. I think these guys have supply chain issues figured out & who knows what's going on with COVID alternative transportation modes wise. I'll give you some other examples
- KBC order on KBC Canada site. They show stock here & there, some comes in from eastern USA, some from Delta BC. But it all eventually arrives to Calgary packagaed however makes sense for flat 8.95 & no customs implications. So what happens on their end I don't care.
- a bunch of orders I've placed on Ali from completely different distributers/stores all arrive free shipping within 2 weeks with a China wrapper but Toronto 'intermediate' address? The exact same address. I dont mean a cdn customs clearance, its as though its originating from the same ?middle distributer? weird. But again, I dont care if they use a drone, cant compalin about the price or speed.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@David_R8 : I think the Etobicoke may be a customs clearance and then off to you. We are in Sarnia right today - I ordered items yesterday at about 3 pm and they arrived today at 12:15 pm - one package came round and they other air. Total weight was 18 lbs and shipping was $29.04 USD

There will be variations but their mission is to get you the stuff ASAP

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@PeterT All my Digikey orders 'ship from Mississauga', but actually originate from one of 3 warehouses in the U.S. They make Customs invisible to me by inter-company transfer to Toronto and trans-ship to Calgary. All from a noon order, delivered at 10-10:30 am the next day. This truly is the future.

mprozycki

I ordered some stuff from them about a week ago. The only issue I experienced was that they cancelled my first order because I didn't include a business name in my order. They told me that they could ship to my home so long as I ran my "business" from my home. So I gave them my Dad's business name and everything went smoothly. I'm not sure if they checked the validity of the name or not.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I order some stuff from them about a week ago. The only issue I experienced was that they cancelled my first order because I didn't include a business name in my order. They told me that they could ship to my home so long as I ran my "business" from my home. So I gave them my Dad's buisness name and everthing went soomthly. I not sure if the check the validity of the name or not.

They didn’t ask me anything and when I asked they combined my personal account with my business account.
I will say that they are super fast in responding to questions, I’ve received responses in under 30 minutes.

mprozycki

Overall, their service is quite good. The order arrived in 2 days. Though the qualility of some of the items were a bit underwhelming. Like a tap wrench that I had to return. But I got some really nice brass heat-inserts for thermoplastics.