• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

McMaster-Carr

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
That’s a good point. I’m legally registered as “Fly by night trucking” (I’m not, I’m just using an example). But my email and such is “Moonlight Transport” (just an example). Possibly that’s more a numbered company thing, Ontario 123123123 O/A Snowman Trucking, just because they actually want a business trade name for advertising and such. I dunno what the rules are on that

Once you get into the difference between sole proprietorship and incorporated it gets murky
It definitely got more complicated here in BC if I wanted to do a limited partnership or a numbered company, basically anything beyond sole proprietorship. Of course those come with an entirely different set of rules etc.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
That’s a good point. I’m legally registered as “Fly by night trucking” (I’m not, I’m just using an example). But my email and such is “Moonlight Transport” (just an example). Possibly that’s more a numbered company thing, Ontario 123123123 O/A Snowman Trucking, just because they actually want a business trade name for advertising and such. I dunno what the rules are on that

Once you get into the difference between sole proprietorship and incorporated it gets murky

Once again I'm referring to what I was told back in the 80's..." if you want to protect your trade name from someone else using it, then register it, if its just a name of no importance other than an "identifier" no need to jump through the registration hoops.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I've been operating under a trade name for 40 years. For 25 of them I registered as a numbered AB company, but still. used the trade name. The bank doesn't care. The Gov doesn't care, and more importantly the vendors just want your business. They use it as a gate to keep out inexperienced folk from needing too much support. I just wrote a declaration/resolution into the minutes of my numbered company that we'd be leasing the trade name at market price. The only 'board meeting' I held in 25 years.

JohnnyTK

It costs $60.00 dollars in Ontario to register and is all online. If you want to do a name search that is extra. I have 2 but none have machining in the name. Wonder if they would take a Canoe Company or Soap Company or just spend the $60 and register one with a more industrial name?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Grrrrrr…… I just tried ordering on-line from Gregg Distributors and they demand a company name. They don't provide a price on-line either. Darn..... I need two 5/16-24 X 1.5" hex head cap screws.

Last edited:

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Grrrrrr…… I just tried ordering on-line from Gregg Distributors and they demand a company name. They don't provide a price on-line either. Darn..... I need two 5/16-24 X 1.5" hex head cap screws.

Going there tomorrow. I can get them for you. You also want nuts for them?

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They don’t usually seem to care. Money is money. They like it when one has already looked up the part number - speeds up the process.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
You could get those at Home Depot or bolt supply.

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
I've been into Quest Industrial a couple times recently for metric socket head cap screws, I asked for 10 of each M4 and M5 just so I'd have a few extras on hand for future. Friendly guys, easy to deal with and come time to pay they just asked if I had a toonie in my pocket (for the beer fund).

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Yup.... those are the ones. I'll be interested to know if they demand a company name as a walk in customer.

Thanks,

Craig

I have been in Greg's dozens of times (both Edm &Red Deer), Always asked "is this on account or cash", about the only place I bought truck parts from regularly that i didn't have a charge account. "cash"...the next question without fail would be " want any name on the bill", not "we need a name".
I bought a lot of screws & bolts from them and think they are "minimum amount" of whatever a box full is, they wont split -sell small stuff. 18 thread is just NF and any box store worth their salt will have a bin of them.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Yes you are right, I got my turds wisted. ...but will hold that fine thread are available at any Home Depo, Peavy Mart in Cowtown or Red Deer. I cant ever remember being disappointed at any of them. Shopping for bolts on a weekend , I will go to big box but shopping weekdays I use the small "mom-pop" fastener stores.