• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

McMaster-Carr

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Do you have a business Ken, or did they accept KM Enterprise or....? I just want to make sure there aren't already 5 or 6 ACME's being registered from the western provinces LOL

Attachments

• SNAG-1-9-2021 0000.jpg
    SNAG-1-9-2021 0000.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
@Janger Did you register "SHOP DOG FABRICATION"? If so, what did it cost you?

I still haven't found an on-line means of registering a name only???

Craig

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I haven't done it, Craig, but I think this link points you in the right direction.
https://www.alberta.ca/register-business-name.aspx

And (just an opinion) this doesn't guarantee you access to MCMC. Seems to be hit & miss as to who at MCMC is reviewing the order/application. Some get accepted & some not. I've heard that sometimes verbal/documents followup is required & again seems to vary as to what convinces them. But also consider that there could be secondary CDN filing/paperwork related to your BN from RevCan that comes about as a result. A business is a business in their eyes & they occasionally request information. They want to make sure they have looked under every rock for potential tax revenue so at minimum may ask some basic questions.

Last edited:

cuslog

Super User
Premium Member
In the "business name" box, just give them a name, any name like "Billy Bob Machine", I'd bet they'll take it. I highly doubt they'll check with any Gov't registry.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Not sure if the rules & regs. are different now but I used an unregistered "Trade Name" for 30 yrs, 80's thru 2010 and was never asked for registration proof...not even for GST # application.

Ken Mach

Do you have a business Ken, or did they accept KM Enterprise or....? I just want to make sure there aren't already 5 or 6 ACME's being registered from the western provinces LOL
I am incorporated but I don't have an account with them you don't need it I buy items from them for personal use

historicalarms

Ultra Member
You sure can pay to register a trade name but just because the "folks In the Registries bidness offer it" I don't think you are compelled to pay them...they will probably say you are if asked but they are in the bidness of generating income more than looking out for shortcuts that are very legal.
If I was planning on never using a "trade Name" for a revenue generator, before I shelled out even $50 I would call the appropriate commercial trade bureau of the province your in first and ask specifically if a trade name "NEEDS" to be registered and get an answer from the horses mouth.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
You sure can pay to register a trade name but just because the "folks In the Registries bidness offer it" I don't think you are compelled to pay them...they will probably say you are if asked but they are in the bidness of generating income more than looking out for shortcuts that are very legal.
If I was planning on never using a "trade Name" for a revenue generator, before I shelled out even $50 I would call the appropriate commercial trade bureau of the province your in first and ask specifically if a trade name "NEEDS" to be registered and get an answer from the horses mouth.
That’s a good point. I’m legally registered as “Fly by night trucking” (I’m not, I’m just using an example). But my email and such is “Moonlight Transport” (just an example). Possibly that’s more a numbered company thing, Ontario 123123123 O/A Snowman Trucking, just because they actually want a business trade name for advertising and such. I dunno what the rules are on that

Once you get into the difference between sole proprietorship and incorporated it gets murky

Crankit

Kind of looks that way unless you're willing to pay $175 for the full meal deal which I'm not.

I'm not sure what you guys in AB have for freight forwarding companies but in BC we have Summit Custom Brokers that bring freight up from US border to their hubs in the Okanagan. A buddy of mine uses these guys frequently and it works well for him as many outfits in the US will ship free in the lower 48 so he basically pays Summit for the shipping. If there's something similar in Calgary occasional M-C purchases might be better this way?