• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

McMaster-Carr

Brent H

Ultra Member
@kevin.decelles : they will ship items from the closest warehouse they have or the warehouse that has stock. Sometimes I have received items from all 3 places. When you check on your "order" page it will show beside the item if it ships from a different location or if there will be a delay in shipping.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Update: Parts were delivered this afternoon. Damn that's fast....... I told my wife this is going to be a problem going forward...... had my first taste.....

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
KBC delivery out of the US via FedEx has been pretty speedy these days as well.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I may try them as well - I see they sell some lead screw material and I would not mind getting some to replace worn out parts in my lathes.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
You McMaster guys are making me green with envy. I'm ready to start a business just so I can be part of the Kool Klub.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Just an FYI - I had ordered a hunk of Aluminum:

"Hi Brent,

The Canadian government imposes an anti-dumping duty on certain products. The cost for the 6061 aluminum on line 17 is $90.

We will not ship this item unless you provide us with a Fedex or UPS collect number.

You would be charged as the importer of record."

Just so you guys are aware - and it seems to be dependent on size as the 2x2 piece is coming without issue but the 2 x 3 is not. This has happened before with copper fittings and some other pipe fitting orders.

Also remember this order is coming to a "commercial" type end user. A good thing is that for stuff like this McMaster is protecting you from getting nailed with some insane tariff - you have the option to continue with the purchase as well, if it is necessary.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
David_R8 - have you ordered yet?
I haven't as I was looking at them for steel banding for my surface grinder. Parker Majestic came through for me on replacements.
I do plan on ordering though.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I've been looking up here for #35 drill rod and 3/16 hex stock without luck and they have some. Do you want to try a combined order?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Canadian government imposes an anti-dumping duty on certain products.

Its great that they gave you heads up. Yup, this is the stuff that drives us and them nuts. My last order from them (many years ago before they decided to high grade accounts to commercial/education) was a stack of customs paperwork. A stupid bag of small metric fasteners incurred this rate, the next size up did not or a different rate based on material, source country, quantity. Its that processing that costs them money. Thank out government(s) for this mess. I can understand big trade issues like oil, lumber, metals. But 20$ worth of screws? Its not like hobbyists are going to ever tip the scales of international trade. The sad thing is, the same thing from Ali or Ebay, flies right in with minimal fuss.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Just so you guys are aware - and it seems to be dependent on size as the 2x2 piece is coming without issue but the 2 x 3 is not. This has happened before with copper fittings and some other pipe fitting orders.

Also remember this order is coming to a "commercial" type end user. A good thing is that for stuff like this McMaster is protecting you from getting nailed with some insane tariff - you have the option to continue with the purchase as well, if it is necessary.

Do you need solid aluminum? I have some solid blocks I can sell you without any anti dumping stuff included.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Tom Kitta : it is purchases for work - we can get the Aluminum local if required- I ordered it to avoid the Covid-19 issues as the ship is in lock down (can't go ashore) - but good to know you have some chunks.

I am planning to make a few larger things in the next few months like a ball turner and a grinding vice etc. those are going to be out of steel - but may have some other plans for aluminum .....hmmmmmm

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I've been looking up here for #35 drill rod and 3/16 hex stock without luck and they have some. Do you want to try a combined order?
Yikes!
I don't know how I missed this message :oops:
Did you find the material or do you still need it?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Not a problem and yes I'm still looking for the stuff. There's no panic as I haven't started my project and what I need is small. McMaster is one of the few places I have found the hex and rod in the same store.
If you're still working on an order and I can join in that would be great.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Not a problem and yes I'm still looking for the stuff. There's no panic as I haven't started my project and what I need is small. McMaster is one of the few places I have found the hex and rod in the same store.
If you're still working on an order and I can join in that would be great.

Super, I just got my business name approval today and I’m perusing the McMC site.
Looking for what I’m not sure just yet...

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Super, I just got my business name approval today and I’m perusing the McMC site.

You mean through Registries? Is it a federal thing or provincial thing, or kind of one of the same once you input the info?